Forums are back in action! ×

Question about pro wrestlers' physiques...

DoogieT

This is what I consider to be my ideal physique (the one I'd like to have):

http://greenobles.com/photos/john-morrison/10/

Is this type of body possible by working out and eating right, or do I need to take steroids? I never would (ever), I'm just curious. I guess I'm asking what is possible to achieve by working out and eating right. Obviously he must have a very low body fat percentage because his abs and ribs are visible, but is this type of muscle possible?

(I don't watch wrestling, I just remember seeing this guy on television and thinking I'd love to look like him.)

What's a battle? - Ralph Wiggum

Shoryuken!

Yes and no. Yes, you definitely can get as cut as he is and depending on genetics, diet and determination his size may be possible for you. But, keep in mind you have posted a picture of man who is naturally very proportional and symmetrical. Most dudes even if they can achieve the same cut and size will not look as good simple because of proportions and imperfections in symmetry.

It's always better to measure against your own body, where it has been and where you are building it to be. Otherwise you may always feel a bit of inferiority when compared to media figures. In all likelihood he doesn't even look like that year round. In the off season he likely fluctuates and the cuts for a season.

He has a lovely physique, but don't forget that particular picture is photoshopped, ok? See how much thinner his thigh is just under his left hand than above it? His right arm is also detached from the shoulder and pushed moved backwards to make his peck appear larger. So, when you're close to looking like that, but you wish your peck were that much bigger, don't get yourself down because your arm is still attached to your shoulder. :)

Edit: Here's a picture of him that I think is less likely to have been photoshopped.

Liz Oh

Suburban Ninja

NF Intro

Twitter: @earthliz

Pinterest: I particularly like to identify #fitspo and #thinspo that has been photoshopped.

YouTube: Comics and Civics

You can get the physique without steroids, but it takes a lot of work. Steroids don't build muscle for you. In combination with a strict diet and workout, they just help do it faster and they also help speed recovery time after workouts. Also, in any event where they have weight classes, you're looking at someone who's cut a lot of water weight. That isn't their normal physique. If you're familiar with MMA, watch a weigh-in sometime and compare what they look like then vs what they look like on fight night. They've dropped and then regained 20 or so pounds of water. Trust me when I tell you that the process for cutting weight is NOT something you want to do if your only goal is to look like you have a low body fat percentage. lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gnome Adventurer

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | CHA: 3 | WIS: 4

Fitocracy | ePaleoCookbooks.net | Blog | Twitter

Very interesting comments; especially about the photoshopping and the physiques of MMA fighters who cut weight. I never thought about the last one. Also about steroids, I never knew how they worked. Thanks everybody. Nerd Fitness for the win! :)

Shoryuken!

It's actually not so easy to just take all the possible steriods out there and yell ROIDS. Each compound does something slightly different; some allow you to sit on your ass and eat all day and only gain muscle, some let you sit around and shed fat at a rate of about 5lbs per week.

That aside, he's really not that big. Exceptionally low BF combined with dehydration, good lighting, and yes some photoshopping made that first picture.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Sure. You'll also gain boobs. Your balls might shrink a bit, and uncontrollable bouts of rage may happen for no good reason whatsoever. The muscle would also probably fall off as soon as you stop taking them

... but other than that, roids! Yeah!

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Also realize that his job is to wrestle(for a crappy wrestling org btw) sooo he wrestles about 15mins several nights a year. He also has plenty of time to train both weights and cardio (wrestling does take lots of cardio). So basically he's getting paid to train. If you can get that gig, then you're doing good.

But yes it's possible to get that look w/out roids....plus it'll save you're family

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

There's actually a lot of documented workouts from the wrestler Triple H, who used to be an amateur body builder.

They're all over the place for sets and reps. And he eats like a champ. And while I can't rule out that he takes any form of steroids, he does change body comp every so often. But his body comp is pretty much exactly what I'd like to look like, end game.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Weapon-vise you'd want as small a mass on the end of that long handle as you can get - so that you have a fast weapon.

20lbs maul won't help you a thing if you are not fighting immobile opponents.

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

Archived