Forums are back in action! ×

New here--be gentle :-)

Hi all! I've heard about NF before from MyFitnessPal, where I've lost the majority of my weight since 2011 (I am down 55 pounds and am straddling the overweight/normal weight BMI, started out obese). However, I think I got the false impression that the Paleo/Primal thing is REALLY pushed here, so I kinda stayed away. It wasn't until I joined and starting lurking a little bit that most folks here are friendly and supportive without all the dogma and nastiness that dominate the MFP boards. I love MFP for tracking my food and getting support, but some of you guys that are over there know the forum drama can be draining after a while! :topsy_turvy:

I am an avid jogger and do strength circuits with a trainer twice a week, but I am mostly here to clean up my diet and get more fitness ideas as I wean myself from my circuit training classes that are getting prohibitively expensive. I've lost 55 pounds, run 5Ks, and become fitter than ever, but since I work full-time and go to classes 4 nights a week pursuing my masters (:ambivalence:) I don't have the resources to devote to spending hours at the gym. Not whining, I'd just like to get my exercise in more efficiently. I may eventually go the Primal/Paleo route as i get more comfortable with the idea of it. I am starting to phase out grains and feel much better so far. Anyway, sorry to ramble, just wanted to introduce myself. Any tips for busy folks like myself are more than welcome!

PS: I have always been nerdy in the sense that I am painfully uncool. I'm not a gamer but I was in Latin club and I was always the kid in school that would rather read a book than join a sports team. I also like that most people here can put together a coherent sentence and type like they graduated from fifth grade. Hopefully I qualify to stick around. :cool-new:

I'm new too! Welcome! :)

I'm also starting to phase out the grains, and while I'm having a little trouble coming up with new things to eat, I'm feeling a lot better. Hope it works for you too!

Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible. - Julius Caesar William Shakespeare

All knowledge is worth having. - Kushiel's Dart Jacqueline Carey

Hi!

Speaking of Latin - I never actually studied Latin as a language but have sung a lot of it. One of my interests is historical pronunciation of Latin for early music. When I took Latin diction (for singing) in college, they taught us the 19th-century Italianate style, which is also called ecclesiastical Latin - different from the classical pronunciation that is used for actual Latin language teaching. What I find really interesting is that prior to the 19th century, Latin was pronounced differently in each country, such that it could be difficult for two people from different countries to understand each other. And how the text is pronounced can drastically affect the sound of the music. And it's actually an overlooked topic, even though there has been quite a bit of research into many other aspects of historically informed performance. I have a few books on the subject and some good recordings of music using historical pronunciation. And I've done some IPA transcriptions of pieces using the rules for 16th-century Anglo-Latin pronunciation. So nerdy it's cool!! :smug:

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

Hi!

Speaking of Latin - I never actually studied Latin as a language but have sung a lot of it. One of my interests is historical pronunciation of Latin for early music. When I took Latin diction (for singing) in college, they taught us the 19th-century Italianate style, which is also called ecclesiastical Latin - different from the classical pronunciation that is used for actual Latin language teaching. What I find really interesting is that prior to the 19th century, Latin was pronounced differently in each country, such that it could be difficult for two people from different countries to understand each other. And how the text is pronounced can drastically affect the sound of the music. And it's actually an overlooked topic, even though there has been quite a bit of research into many other aspects of historically informed performance. I have a few books on the subject and some good recordings of music using historical pronunciation. And I've done some IPA transcriptions of pieces using the rules for 16th-century Anglo-Latin pronunciation. So nerdy it's cool!! :smug:

Yes, you are correct, there are many different ways that Latin was pronounced. I thought it sounded Italian when I spoke it. I do remember that Latin Vs are pronouced like modern Ws. I minored in Spanish in college so I <3 linguistics :love-struck:

Welcome Colleen! I am new here too, but I haven't been lurking before jumping in, so I'm still learning about the community - kind of astounded to see the discussion going to Latin. I'll be doing a Latin intensive class myself this summer, so... I'm kinda glad we have apparently stumbled on the Rebellion's Latin club :P

Breton Adventurer

STR: 3 DEX: 1 STA: 2 CON: 5 WIS: 5 CHA: 3

[challenge thread]

"I thence / Invoke thy aid to my adventurous song, / That with no middle flight intends to soar." (Milton)

Welcome! Sounds like you've made a lot of progress so far! I've briefly visited other fitness sites and I agree with you about the drama buisness. NF is probably one of the friendliest forums I've ever been on or read, period.

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Welcome! I am new myself! I am also trying to figure out the Paleo/Primal thing. I am not terribly strict but at the same time I have really changed my diet for the better. I am going to post more in the food sections. I get the Martha Stewart Everyday Food magazine and there were a large number of Paleo/primal recipes this month, I am going to post some. Cheers!

Welcome! I am new myself! I am also trying to figure out the Paleo/Primal thing. I am not terribly strict but at the same time I have really changed my diet for the better. I am going to post more in the food sections. I get the Martha Stewart Everyday Food magazine and there were a large number of Paleo/primal recipes this month, I am going to post some. Cheers!

Oh, please do post them!! And thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Welcome and good work so far! It sounds like whatever you have been doing is working, so keep it up!

One tip I picked up from nerd fitness is to look at your food intake as fuel for your workout. This has really helped me limit junk and late night snacking. It has also helped my paleo transition.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Level 1 Adventurer

[table=width: 300]

STR 7

DEX 1

STA 5

CON 5

WIS 4

CHA 3

[/table]

My 6 Week Challenge Thread

Here's a good recording of some 16th c Anglo-Latin: The Caged Byrd – music for voices, viols and harpsichord from a time of persecution. For example the word vigilate in typical modern ecclesiastical pronunciation would be sung as vih-jih-LAH-tay. But in 16th century England, it would have been pronounced as if it were English, so vih-jih-LAY-tee.

Another interesting thing about Latin back then is that due to the break with the Catholic church, music written in Latin was illegal. There were many people who continued on their own holding Latin masses, and they were known as recusants. They could be fined or even arrested if discovered. William Byrd, one of the greatest English composers, was a recusant and openly published music in Latin. Queen Elizabeth let him get away with it because she liked his music so much. ;) But nowadays when you hear that music performed by cathedral choirs, that's not what would have been allowed then. It would have been performed in people's homes, during secret masses.

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

Archived