Forums are back in action! ×

Hello fitness comrades!

Hello, NF! I'm not THE FRSHPRNC, but I am FRSH, and I go by Frsh or Emily. I've recently discovered NF.com and only recently have I joined the forums. So, I'll start with my backstory.

I have always been out-of shape. When I hit puberty, I went from a skinny little girl to a robust (still little at 5'4) young woman with extra weight. All those hours spent playing World of Warcraft, eating pizza, and drinking nothing but soda didn't help matters either. I was insecure in my body (I bloomed early-DDs in my freshman year) so I hid under dark clothes and the extra weight I had. Being chubby was a security blanket to keep boys away. It was easy to be invisible wearing black, baggy clothes and carrying extra pounds. It wasn't until my sophmore year I started coming out of my shell when I lifted my first set of weights in gym class. There were a group of guys all around the squat rack daring each other, and I walked up, took a look, got under, and squatted an impossible amount. Was it smart? No, not really. But did I cause some gasps and back patting? Yes it did! I started weight training with the gym teacher during study hall. I didn't focus on cleaning up my diet, so I became strong-fat-a layer of fat covered up my developed muscles. I loved lifting, I loved feeling strong. I loved being surrounded by people who wanted to make gains, lift heavier, and work hard. But, I graduated that year, one year ahead of schedule, and went straight into college.

I went into an evening practical nursing program and worked during the day, which meant taco bell at night and mcdonald's after work. I slowly but surely put more weight on, and I've tried mutliple times to get it off, failing each time.

I graduated from practical nursing school in December of 11, and in January, I was at my heaviest-195. For a while, I just said "I'm big boned. Everyone else in my family is big, so I guess I am too. I love my curves." But I was lying to myself. I hated the way I looked-clothed and naked. I had curves, yes, but some in the wrong place! I wanted to be strong, I wanted to be fit and muscular and look great in a bikini. I've always worn one-pieces to the beach with coverups and hats. I was ashamed to have fun and swim as I got older because of my legs and arms, my mid-section and my cellulite. I wanted to change. So, I formulated a game plan, and changed it about fifty times. High-carb, low-carb, HIIT, low impact cardio, fasting, cheat days (which turned to cheat weeks during my semester break for my current degree program). The scale still didn't budge! I was doing it all wrong. I wasn't making a sustainable life change, I was just looking to drop weight quickly and I didn't care how. I found myfitnesspal, mark's daily apple, and NF. I'm armed with the tools and knowledge to improve myself, my body, and my life. I'm ready to level up! I also have figured out my class and race- dwarf monk. Odd combination, but I love martial arts. I've never taken an actual class, but I've done various kickboxing dvds, aspiring to be strong and fast like a capoeira master or a judo practioner. I'm a dwarf, well, because I'm a dwarf! Short, stocky, robust, wide shoulders and hips, with strong legs! So, hello fellow nerds, let's level up!

I'm immediately attracted to people who do nursing school and fitness at the same time. Great job and glad to have you! I have one more year in nursing school left. I'm in a BSN, RN program. This summer I'm starting to contemplate the job search or even just what field of nursing to go into. Any suggestions?

SquinkyPheebs

Elf Adventurer

STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 5 CON: 2 WIS: 3 CHA: 1

"There is something morbidly fascinating about flying into an uncharted tunnel at reckless speeds with only the words of a kleptomaniac dwarf for what lay at the other end" -Artemis Fowl

Earned: +1 DEX, +1 WIS, +1 STR

Archived