Forums are back in action! ×

Starting strength and gaining weight questions

Spongela

Currently into my third week of starting strength, I started at around 136lb and am now up to 138lb. I am wondering how fast should a female should be gaining weight when trying to put it on?

I am 5ft 9 and currently aiming to eat around 2400 calories, my maintenance is around 2200. I also still have a little bit of fat to lose but when I tried to cut fat before I just ended up looking to skinny with little muscle but still with some stomach fat and dropped down to the weight I started starting strength at. This was probably because I wasn't lifting heavy and doing to much cardio with some strength training but not enough. So I'm guessing I can continue to add weight while lifting heavy, but my other question is do people still drop some body fat while doing this, or would I have to cut my calories down after a point to cut fat.

If your maintenance number is accurate 2400 is actually a little low. Normally the general rule of thumb is to start with 500 over maintenance and generally more but everyone has to find the right balance for them and their real activity level and diet.

Can't answer the gender specific question but I can't imagine that you could be gaining much fat if you only eating 2400.

Archived