Forums are back in action! ×

clumsy gene

ThePuma

Is anyone else so clumsy that you should practically be disabled? I have given myself cuts, bruises, burns, stitches, broken bones, and concussions. I find a way to give myself a new bruise everyday. I can't walk across a flat floor without tripping. I once had some random lady in a restroom tell me "you should leave his ass", after I gave myself a black eye and bruised cheek. At the rate I'm going, I may not make it to 30.

Gnome Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR 2/DEX 1/STA 2/CON 4/WIS 4/CHA 2

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is anyone else so clumsy that you should practically be disabled? I have given myself cuts, bruises, burns, stitches, broken bones, and concussions. I find a way to give myself a new bruise everyday. I can't walk across a flat floor without tripping. I once had some random lady in a restroom tell me "you should leave his ass", after I gave myself a black eye and bruised cheek. At the rate I'm going, I may not make it to 30.

Ahhh, so you're my long-lost sister! I wondered where you've been. :D

I'm the same way. I can't seem to cook a meal without burning myself (and I'm a good cook), by the time a bruise shows up I've usually forgotten how it got there, my knuckles/elbows/knees stay as scraped up as my kids' do, I usually end up a bigger mess than whatever I'm cleaning on any given day, the list goes on...and by the way, I'm 32 and I haven't managed to kill myself yet, but some days I wonder how I survive.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Yay, I'm not alone! I don't remember how I get most of my bruises either. One of my friends gave me a helmet as a birthday present one year.

Gnome Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's been a long standing joke in my family that gravity hates me. Balance is not my friend. It has gotten a bit better as I've been training and getting stronger, but still, no. I can fall over just standing still (medically, I do have an inner ear issue that causes the base balance issue, but still, it gets absurd lol).

Along the ideas of "the human zoo," I think we (the Western world) have set up our lives to make all our balance skills atrophy.

If you're pretty sure you wouldn't survive a yoga class or barefoot running, you can still try some balance exercises. Seriously, if you can't stand on one foot, it's probably worth your time to work on it, because the last thing you want to do is end up with a busted hip when you're older.

Proprioception FTW!

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Yep. I look at my knees & wonder where all those scars came from. I've had people ask me if I've been drinking just when I'm walking around. I'd be really reluctant to submit to a field sobriety test even when stone cold sober.

"Get busy living or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." - Red"I'm not losing weight, I'm evicting fat." -me

I'm so clumsy/accident prone. In high school I was shooting a basketball, somehow managed to hit myself in the face and broke my nose. I dropped a barbell on my foot earlier this year. I spill everything, I trip over air, I fall on the ice 3-4 times a winter, and I bump into doors 20 feet away.

It's been a long standing joke in my family that gravity hates me. Balance is not my friend. It has gotten a bit better as I've been training and getting stronger, but still, no. I can fall over just standing still (medically, I do have an inner ear issue that causes the base balance issue, but still, it gets absurd lol).

This! I have Meniere's, which can cause balance issues. Yoga and barefoot running definitely help...as do squats and deadlifts. They give me a good understanding. :D

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Ya, I'm afraid I'm in this club too.

I'd raise my hand but I'd probably hit my elbow on something doing it.

BTW, I just spilled my coffee on some paper work here less than 5 minutes ago. Luckily after dumping it on some paper work 2 days ago, I now leave the lid on.

On Tuesday I'm going on a field trip... We are going ice skating. This will not end well for me. I can barely walk and they want me so strap blades of death to my feet. I can only hope for the best right now.

Gnome Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skating is good for developing balance. On ice skates remember to keep your knees slightly bent and your core tucked in for support. Look at where you want to go - so, NOT the ground! Go slow and if you think you will fall, crouch down and grab your knees until you stop moving. You'll be fine, skating (of any kind) is a blast!

Level 1 half elf

Fitocracy

Challenge

I once came into work and my friend looked at my legs and told me in a totally serious voice, "If he lays another hand on you, I'm gonna rip it off." My response? "Thank you for your willingness to spindle, fold and mutilate in my defense, but I just tripped. Also, not dating anyone." That was a fun conversation.

Archived