Forums are back in action! ×

IT Band issues

Dave0222

Hey everyone! I'm trying to incorporate running, especially interval training, into my plan, but for the past year or so I've had wicked IT band problems and the pain/inflammation that goes with it. I've tried the prescribed stretches and even a thin band righ under my knee, but it is still problematic. Anyone have success overcoming this? Thanks!

Hey everyone! I'm trying to incorporate running, especially interval training, into my plan, but for the past year or so I've had wicked IT band problems and the pain/inflammation that goes with it. I've tried the prescribed stretches and even a thin band righ under my knee, but it is still problematic. Anyone have success overcoming this? Thanks!

I had a lot or problems with this when I was running a lot for x-country and triathlon during university.

Check here under illiotibial band tightness for some tests and possible stretches (in case you missed one), and definitely hit the foam roller. I personally use and highly recommend the rumble roller, even though it hurts in all sorts of ways.

Otherwise, if things keep up some rest (a week or so off can do wondeR) and maybe a call you friendly neighbourhood physiotherapist might be in order.

FWIW, I ended up having to go the physio route while taking some time off to get things set straight. I just swam a lot during that time.

Thanks! Foam roller-ing is the one thing that I keep seeing mentioned everwhere but have never actually done. Gonna grab one today after work. Scotticus, this site is AWESOME! It's super authentic and research-based, unlike the random youtube clips I'd been using. You guys rock!

Thanks! Foam roller-ing is the one thing that I keep seeing mentioned everwhere but have never actually done. Gonna grab one today after work. Scotticus, this site is AWESOME! It's super authentic and research-based, unlike the random youtube clips I'd been using. You guys rock!

EXRX is pretty much my go to. It's pretty awesome, for sure! I also highly recommend robertson training systems for thorough, credible stuff.

Foam rolling definitely helps me. If I run too much without doing it, my left knee gets tight.

Supposedly muscle imbalances and/or an uneven stride can be culprits too. Hip abductors/adductors can help stabilize the the whole leg structure. And in my case, one leg is just ever-so-slightly longer than the other, which leads to uneven wear, and... bad things, if I do it too much.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

I've had issues with the IT band on my left leg since running track in high school. Like the others said, foam roller is the way to go. Or use a lacrosse ball or tennis ball like a foam roller. Really hurts at first, but makes it so much better after.

Usually when I roll out I'll move until it starts hurting, stay there for a bit until the muscle relaxes then continue down.

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

Truly the best thing I have ever found: http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

I had some IT issues last year when I started marathon training, and went to physical therapy for a month. Not much that they did was left out of Jason's stuff. She had me walk sideways and backwards on the treadmill as well, since it helps you track your legs and feet correctly without overthinking stride. Absolute must do part of my routine now.

Wow - that is so helpful! Is this something that works over time to strengthen flexor muscles, or does it help right away if you do it before a run? A little part of me is worried that the exercises would make my IT band *more* tight in the short term...

Dude, the roller is god....seriously--the pain sucks but the results are awesome! You can also do it with a lax ball for very specific focus...not only is doing stretches important but doing external hip rotation exercises and strengthening will also help.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

So I foam rolled before a run just now, and the results were IMMEDIATE! I almost cried, but I guess that means I needed it :-P Ran a trial 2-miler, and not an ounce of tightness around my knee. Usually I feel it strongly after a mile! Def gonna do the strengthening and stretching exercises others mentioned, too. Vibrams are a present I'm getting myself if I can run consistently for a month. I buy too much equip I never use, so I want to earn it.

Thank you all so much! Part of my epic quest is a 10K in July, and now I can get there :-)

Archived