Forums are back in action! ×

Ready, Set, Go!

I'm not exactly at the starting line, but I've got a ways to go! I'm a female military member, going through school as a linguist right now, and I'm also a geek on the sly, when I'm not studying 12 hours a day and hitting the gym.

My currents goals: (eventually) do 20 pull-ups... I just hit my first goal of getting one and now I can usually do 3 from a dead hang on a good day.

Run a 23:00(or better) 3 mile... while in boot camp, I ran a 25:05, but that was over a year ago. Right now, I'm not sure what I run 3 in... a hurt foot and never ending excuses have stopped me from running for a few weeks.

Lose 15 pounds... at 5'3", I'm sitting at 145, and I want to lose that 15 of fat I'm lugging around, without losing any muscle.

My hobbies(workout wise): I go to the gym every day. I like to weight lift, hate to run. I also enjoy biking and rock climbing and yoga, and I want to start some sort of martial arts when I find the time.

My hangups: I absolutely despise running, but I want to be good at it. I also am required to weigh in semi-annually at 141 lbs... consistent weight-lifting has pushed me over that and I haven't found the right balance to lose fat but retain muscle yet. I also love sweets. I've struggled with them for years and finally decided to just give them up. It's been a good decision so far, I feel a lot better.

AND THE LAST: I'm terrified of trying to weight-lift or use free weights in my meathead-overrun gym on base. Just walking in to the weights room, I get stared at... I use the machines on a regular basis and have used free weights at home, but I don't really know anything about weight lifting and I don't want to make a fool of myself. Eek!

Please if you have any advice for me on any fronts, let me know!

LVL 1 Ranger (STR 4, DEX 2, STA 3, CON 2, WIS 4, CHA 0)

First Challenge. "Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Thanks guys! I'm taking it slow with the gym - one more new exercise at a time, so the amount of embarrassment is manageable, haha! This place is an excellent resource, it's very motivating!!!

LVL 1 Ranger (STR 4, DEX 2, STA 3, CON 2, WIS 4, CHA 0)

First Challenge. "Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Archived