Forums are back in action! ×

Dropping the Freshman 15!

Hello!

I have just started my summer off making up my own work out program along with a little help from my mother (Who is now 15lbs. lighter than me) and my college golf coach. I have a little trouble with motivation. Since I began college in 2010 I am now 15 lbs heavier. I was a high school (competitive) cheerleader and we were constantly working out. I hit college and became a golfer only to find that it doesn't offer quite the work out I recieved in cheerleading and the food at school is just really good (BAD!)

My motivation has increased a tad this summer when my boyfriend of 2 years and I broke up, (O I know how dramatic) but it made me want to lose the weight in order to kick it in his face. I really should be doing this for myself because my family has a history of diabetes. My father is over 300lbs and lacks the same motivation as I. It should light a fire under my butt! Also my mother has finally passed me up and has started borrowing my old clothes that are too tight and giving me her old clothes that are to loose!

You would think that would whip me into shape all together. I am sure many of you can agree it is harder than you think.

I have never been a very passionate person and I am just coming into finding myself but I need to find the fire inside me and start pushing to change my lifestyle. I know I can do this...its just doing it.

All motivation and advice is in great need.

:topsy_turvy:

It's pretty cool your mom is your workout partner. I imagine the ladies on here will have better advice than I can offer. One thing I'll put out there is - how about keeping your dad involved in a minor way. Say - "Hey dad I'd like to spend some quality time together. Want to go for a short walk?" Just go at whatever pace he wants to go. Any movement is better than none. Helping him might help to motivate you.

Other than that, I'd say get as specific as you can with your plan on here, and if you're not 100% confident just ask for some advice.

"Get busy living or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." - Red"I'm not losing weight, I'm evicting fat." -me

I also started working out because of a family history of diabetes -- my dad developed his when he was in his early forties so when I hit thirty I was like, 'that's only ten more years' and decided that I needed to get in shape to lower my risk ASAP. My mother has also lost a lot of weight over the last few years and she was smaller than I was for a while, which was kind of weird. I think we're the same size now, but I weigh more than she does because I lift heavy weights and she goes the light weights high reps conditioning/zumba/yoga route. (I've been trying to get her to lift heavy things and so far I've been able to get her to use slightly heavier dumbbells for the conditioning with weights, but not to go for strength yet. She says she can't lift that much. I tell her you have to start somewhere.)

One thing I'll put out there is - how about keeping your dad involved in a minor way. Say - "Hey dad I'd like to spend some quality time together. Want to go for a short walk?" Just go at whatever pace he wants to go. Any movement is better than none. Helping him might help to motivate you.

This. My mom and I take short walks around the neighborhood from time to time. It's helping a little that I'm home and cooking paleo, but she and I only eat dinner together most days, and some days not even, so whenever I can, I'll invite her out on a short walk.

Cowboy - Human Adventurer
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Archived