Forums are back in action! ×

Nerdy Newbie, checking in.

Hi,

I'm new here, and pretty new to fitness, but not new to being a nerd. I was on the math team in high school and figure skated competitively, but that was 20+ years ago and now I'm a corporate lawyer. I'm a mom to 2 girls, who are 9 and 5, and hadn't been to the gym or worked out seriously or consistently since before I had them, until I bit the bullet & joined a gym when my husband switched gyms in March this year.

When I joined, I weighed 196.5 lb., and a month later after doing 100% cardio (treadmill, elliptical & rowing machine), I weighed 190. Looking to add weights to my workouts for balance, a friend recommended New Rules of Lifting for Women ("NROLFW"), which I read, and started on April 16. I'm done with Stage 1 now, and completely love it. I'm starting stage 2 tomorrow morning.

I'm trying to follow their nutrition guidelines to eat 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat too. I still do cardio on my non-lifting days, and have a lot of fat left to melt, but I'm loving the changes I can already see in how I look & feel.

The most recent thing I did that scared me, but was sooooooo worth it was starting a tap & jazz dance class in December once a week. And even scarier, I'm going to be in my very first dance recital (the same one my kids are in) later this month. But it's so much fun, and as long as I don't fall on my face, the rest is easy. Right? ;)

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you want to know about me. :)

-Karen

Karen

Archived