Forums are back in action! ×

Elliptical Weight Capacities

Phoenyx

So I'm looking to buy an elliptical. The trouble is that in my price range the weight capacity seems to be from 250-300lbs. Being that I'm about 430lbs this is a problem.

Anyone have any advice on this? How accurate are these capacities? Do they set them low expecting that people who are much larger to use them that way if they malfunction it can be blamed on the weight?

Any feedback would be awesome.

P

So I'm looking to buy an elliptical. The trouble is that in my price range the weight capacity seems to be from 250-300lbs. Being that I'm about 430lbs this is a problem.

Anyone have any advice on this? How accurate are these capacities? Do they set them low expecting that people who are much larger to use them that way if they malfunction it can be blamed on the weight?

Any feedback would be awesome.

P

According to Livestrong the capacity range is typically between 250lbs and 400lbs, which is what I'm seeing on other sites as well. I don't know how accurate the capacities are, but I wouldn't be keen on playing chicken with the stated limits of a $2000+ machine.

Maybe start out going for walks or modifying your diet until you're comfortably within range of whatever machine you can afford (see last link for possible options). Alternatively, have you considered lifting weights at all? You could probably get 2-4 years at a gym for what you would spend on a (cheap) elliptical. Whatever you go with, your early weight loss from 430lbs is probably going to be pretty substantial (no guarantees, of course); check out Tyler's progress over at 344pounds.com - over 40 pounds in the first month. So the max capacity of some of these machines may not be that far away.

Kewilson - Misfit Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Operation Phoenix: 6-Week Challenge Thread

STR: 2 (+2), DEX: 0 (+1), STA: 3 (+0), CON: 4 (+0), WIS: 5 (+0), CHA: 1 (+3)

If they're anything like bicycles, then about 25% over the design weight they'll start to flex and the product lifespan will be reduced.

Home gear is generally kinda flimsy. I wouldn't use a home bench. Commercial gear is built to handle much more stress -- bigger users and more frequent use -- but it's also hella expensive. Can you get your ellipti-fix at a commercial gym?

Archived