Forums are back in action! ×

Broken Toe?

So I was a drunk idiot on Friday. I was running around the apartment barefoot, turned a corner too fast, and smacked my foot against the doorjamb. Now my 4th toe really hurts, even after a couple days of ice and some buddy-taping. My question is whether I'm allowed to go to the gym tomorrow and workout, including some interval training. Any things I should be careful of? Precautions I should take? Can I still wear my Vibrams?

I'm sure there are plenty of safe things to do with a broken toe, but I would feel better about working out on it if a doctor looked at it. Unless you can't see a doctor, which is a sad reality these days. Maybe there is a list of things on the internet somewhere that are absolutely ok to do with a broken toe?

The problem with feet is like ribs, there's not a lot you *can* do about it except take it easy and don't make it hurt.

The thought of wigglnig a broken toe into a Vibram toe pocket makes me crawl up the wall with anticipated pain (thanks, mirror neurons) but the basic deal is: if you can do it without pain, you can do it, but this is not a week to chase PRs.

I'd avoid painkillers before training -- you don't want to mask a valid "woah!" signal -- and don't be afraid to stop halfway through the warmup and abort. For situations like this, there's always upper-body focus or the pool, and the elliptical is great by having no jarring while you run.

The problem with feet is like ribs, there's not a lot you *can* do about it except take it easy and don't make it hurt.

The thought of wigglnig a broken toe into a Vibram toe pocket makes me crawl up the wall with anticipated pain (thanks, mirror neurons) but the basic deal is: if you can do it without pain, you can do it, but this is not a week to chase PRs.

I'd avoid painkillers before training -- you don't want to mask a valid "woah!" signal -- and don't be afraid to stop halfway through the warmup and abort. For situations like this, there's always upper-body focus or the pool, and the elliptical is great by having no jarring while you run.

I second these comments.

Last fall I dropped a 45-lb plate on my foot(don't try this at home. It HURTS). Based on my experience, I'd be VERY careful around running. I found that lifting and biking were fine for my foot, but I had to lay off the running for a while. I'd suggest emphasis on low-impact activities as much as possible, until you feel your foot can tolerate more aggressive activities.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Thanks guys! Andy, that was my thought, thanks for validating. I honestly don't want to go to a doctor, because even if it is broken, they'll x-ray it, tell me it's broken, tape it for me, and send me on my way. Not worth it. I'll dig out my old running shoes for the gym this week. Bad news-I hate ellipticals. They kind of drive me crazy for some reason. I'm thinking stationary bike.

I hate them too -- the arm thingies just confound me. I had them recommended to me to help rehabbing a knee injury, and they were very useful. Ungainly, awkward, uncomfortable and absolutely a chore, but useful.

* Confound these machines! They drive me to drink.

I would watch out on lunges (those are gonna suck with a broken toe). I've broken toes before (actually same one twice, on separate occasions), & running short distances was ok (up to 1 mile, after that it hurts). Don't know if you're a martial arts type of person, but that's gonna suck too. Hope this helps, be careful, & good luck!!!

Archived