Forums are back in action! ×

How to add weight...

Please excuse if this question has been answered previously, but there is A LOT to comb through on here so I figured I'd just ask again (potentially)...

I have just started the Rebel Rookie Workouts from Steve's Rebel Fitness Guide and on some of the exercises (squats and step ups specifically) I would like to hold some additional weight to increase intensity of the workout. The problem is, Steve didn't provide any instruction on where/how to hold the weight in the guide...two smaller weights in each hand, one bigger weight in both hands...? Can anyone provide some guidance? I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

[table=width: 500]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human Adventurer

STR: 2 | DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 3

[Current Challenge]

[/table]

I haven't looked at the guide, but generally, add a weight in each hand just to keep thing symetrical. Plus dumbbells usually come in pairs, and in smaller increments.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

For awhile I was doing dumbbell squats due to some hip pain. Basically grab some dumbbells and hold them at your sides and do a squat - maybe have your feet slightly closer together than usual to avoid hitting the dumbbells against your legs. Maybe start at body weight and then gradually dial up the dumbbells until you get the challenge you're looking for. See this

Ignore the mean things he says about barbell squats. Make funny breathing noises during reps like that guy does at your discretion. :P

Alternatively, consider hitting the squat rack to do barbell squats.

I've never really had step ups as part of my routine, but I would guess it would be the same: grab some dumbbells and just do regular step ups while holding them at your side.

Kewilson - Misfit Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Operation Phoenix: 6-Week Challenge Thread

STR: 2 (+2), DEX: 0 (+1), STA: 3 (+0), CON: 4 (+0), WIS: 5 (+0), CHA: 1 (+3)

Archived