Forums are back in action! ×

Tough Mudder?

Emcognito

Anyone done the a Tough Mudder and have advice for a first timer? I've done the Warrior Dash and the Rebel Race, a few 5ks, trail races, half marathon, etc. so I'm okay on the fitness part. I'm mostly looking for equipment advice or "good to know" info from people who have actually done it. Gloves or no gloves? Knee braces a waste of time? Should I pack some raisins? I know there are aid stations, but I needed the gu/gel stuff for the half. Don't want to run out of gas.

I've got two weeks to finish getting mentally (and physically) prepped... Thanks!

"Nope. That's just my face."

Well, I attempted Tough Mudder last year and failed about half way through. Mine was up a mountain though... started at 6200', I lost it at 8200', and there was still another 300' to the highest point.

They have aid stations, but I totally envied the people with camelbaks, because the stations were too far apart.

Wear clothing that dries quick, and cover your knees and elbows if possible. You will be doing a lot of crawling through rocks and dirt.The ice water obstacles will chill you to the bone... That's where my muscles started ceasing. Get or cut finger-less gloves. You'll want the grip, but if they have full fingers, the water and rocks will get caught in them. Oh, and wear your worst shoes. I saw a lot of people actually duct tape their shoes to their feet.

Overall, clear your mind, be ready for hell, and HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

I'll be doing it again this year, but at a lower elevation.

GOOD LUCK!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

There's definitely a few Tough Mudders here. It was fun, but as Angela said... very hard. Sounds like you're good with the endurance part, but there is also plenty of strength stuff too. Especially the berlin walls. Those are pretty hard.

Agreed with the Camelbak, but... in my opinion, hydrate all day the day before and before the race. Then, you won't be as thirsty between stations and the food they provide (small snacks like bananas or energy things) should satisfy. My experience was different with the food/water stations. There were about 6 throughout the whole course, so every couple miles you were refueling. I didn't use gloves and ended up with only a couple scrapes, so your call. I also wore decent shoes because of the length of it and all of the mud washed out. So, again, your call. But I definitely agree with duct taping. All of the mud and rocks get into your shoes. I don't see a necessity in knee braces though.

Lastly, wear all wicking clothes. If you wear any kind of cotton, the mud and water will soak in.

Let us know if you have more questions. :)

I'm slated to attack one of the northern California Tough Mudders in September and couldn't be more stoked. I've been focusing on endurance and strength training, specifically being able to tackle the Berlin wall, the monkey bars, and the rings. I'll definitely be taping the shoes but don't plan on gloves. I'm also torn on the camelback. I'm leaning towards not carrying it, mainly because I want the experience to be as close to natural as possible. Good luck!

I'm slated to attack one of the northern California Tough Mudders in September and couldn't be more stoked.

I'm going to do Diablo if I can ever afford to pay for it... Might have to go on credit. :-/

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs

Spoiler

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

I worked the two Tough Murders held here in the Poconos, PA last month and would like to attempt one next year. My advice is similar to those already given. Gloves help although I saw many different kinds from batting gloves and gardening gloves to mechanics gloves and those cotton gloves dipped in rubber. Many duct taped their shoes. I'm thinking either to keep their laces tied, to keep rocks and pebbles out and to keep the shoes fro being sucked off their feet while running through mud. I saw a lot of VFFs which I plan on wearing should I do it. Wicking clothing is key. Many participants suffered from hypothermia due to the early morning start combined with the low temperature. Some had camelbaks and some had whole backpacks! All in allots not just a 10-12 mile run but 25 or so obstacles with running between them! Good luck and have fun!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Yeah, I got this!" -andygates

Cool. So basically, "good luck." Lol. :)

I've gone back and forth on shoes... I donated all my crappy shoes at the races I did last year so I got some of these. I may cry, though, if they get sucked off because they're really great trail shoes. (I know, I know. No crying in baseba... er... Muddering.)

I looked at some of the pictures from the Mudders in places with mountains. Good grief... Fortunately, Indiana does not have mountains. And it'll be June, so hopefully the weather will cooperate. (Although, again being in Indiana, it just might decide to snow the day after it's 90 degrees out.)

You've sold me on the fingerless gloves and I've got "wicking" clothes. I'm thinking I might try some knee pads that also provide a little support?

And I hear ya on the money thing. This is my 31st birthday present to myself to justify breaking my "don't use your credit cards" rule to pay for it.

Somebody just reassure me I'm not gonna drowned in one of those under water tunnels... I can swim, but I'm thinking those aren't a good place to figure out you're claustrophobic...

"Nope. That's just my face."

I may cry, though, if they get sucked off because they're really great trail shoes. (I know, I know. No crying in baseba... er... Muddering.)

This. This is why I love nerd fitness. I am running into far too many people these days who don't know this quote.

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs

Spoiler

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Archived