Forums are back in action! ×

3 lb weights. BAHAHAHHAHA

spatzcat

I was looking up how to improve my 5K time, and came across an article that said this:

I have seen amateur runners near the end of a 5K race with their arms held as low as their hips, as if they’re too heavy a load to bear. If that is a problem for you, the answer is weight-training. No, you don’t need bulging biceps, and no, women do not bulk up when we lift free weights a few times a week. I’m only suggesting, for women in particular, to start off with a few sets of 3lbs dumbbells (or lighter if you wish) and gradually build up to 5 or 7lbs. By the time you’re on 7lbs, you’ll be shocked at how feathery-light the 3lbs weights feel. And you’ll never even think about the weight of your arms while you’re running. Instead, you’ll be running tall, with perfect form, striding along with ease and speed.

BHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

Guess I'll put down that 30lb dumbbell. I'm doing it all wrong.

whatever. fucking people.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

To be fair, the article is biased towards running and only wants to get a person strong enough to be able to handle the weight of their arms. I am guessing that the author does not spend a good amount of time strength training :)

But yes I juggle those weights for funsies.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

To be fair, the article is biased towards running and only wants to get a person strong enough to be able to handle the weight of their arms. I am guessing that the author does not spend a good amount of time strength training :)

This would NOT surprise me in the least!!!!

they make 3 lb weights?

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

HOW ON EARTH!! seriously they are attached... how can you not hold up your arms when running. THEY ARE ATTACHED! .. confused to how to be a runner, running, with floppy arms. all I can think of is "Slept ON My Arms Last Night"

*** please place your autograph on the line _____ ; so I can sell it on EBAY when you are famous ***

Sadly, if arms are too heavy to lift after a 5K, 3lbs is probably a max rep...

I'm just saying, crappy form like that is probably not due to lack of bicep.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

This was my favorite part, by far: "(or lighter if you wish)"

baby-holding-dumbbells-250-thumb-250x250.jpg

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

As a long time runner, it's a sad day when training needs to explicitly call out having enough strength to support your own limbs. Then again, looking at the upper body carriage of most runners, I can kind of see why telling people this is necessary.

At my gym this morning, there was a random 3-pound barbell lying under the rack of preloaded bars. It was seriously the size of a toddler's rattle. I picked it up and could barely even figure out how to get a good grip on it, and my hands are big but they're not that big.

I resisted the urge to try it out as a hair bow like in that one .jpg, but it was a near thing.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

At my gym this morning, there was a random 3-pound barbell lying under the rack of preloaded bars. It was seriously the size of a toddler's rattle. I picked it up and could barely even figure out how to get a good grip on it, and my hands are big but they're not that big.

I resisted the urge to try it out as a hair bow like in that one .jpg, but it was a near thing.

Le f*^%ing useless !!!!

Hey now. Just a-hold on there, folks.

There are plenty of us out here that started out just exactly that weak. Some of us are still exactly that weak. (*raises hand* oh me! me! I'm that weak!)

I say, if that comment can get a few people started with something easy, and point 'em down the road to building up a little muscle, then good on' em and let it rip. 3 lbs leads to 5, then 7, then who knows where. Maybe even to being AWESOME!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

There are plenty of us out here that started out just exactly that weak. Some of us are still exactly that weak. (*raises hand* oh me! me! I'm that weak!)

I say, if that comment can get a few people started with something easy, and point 'em down the road to building up a little muscle, then good on' em and let it rip. 3 lbs leads to 5, then 7, then who knows where. Maybe even to being AWESOME!

D

I'm so ashamed! You are right. Lifting is lifting... As long as the weight progresses! I think we are mostly referring to women who think a GOOD workout is a ton of reps at teeny tiny weight, so they do it over and over again. YOU ARE AWESOME if you are constantly pushing yourself!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Haha! First time I've actually seen those recommended for use. I got my high school track coach a pair of 1 pound dumbbells as a gag thank you gift. They were the most hilariously tiny weights I've ever seen.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

fire.eagle

Elf Assassin

STR: 6 DEX: 5.5 STA: 4.75 CON: 5 WIS: 3.5 CHA: 3.75

Assassin Wannabe | Be Prepared

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

[/table]

About half way in the original post, I thought they were going to recommend running with three pound weights. That way when you run your arms won't be hanging down so low since you are used to heavier things on your arms...

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

So last night in my workout, my trainer gave me 2 2.5# weights for arm haulers (because of the position I was in and the small muscles I was working and working them fast, I got little tiny weights). I was laughing so hard I had trouble starting the exercise.

It's karma man. The universe knows and puts you back in your place.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

So last night in my workout, my trainer gave me 2 2.5# weights for arm haulers (because of the position I was in and the small muscles I was working and working them fast, I got little tiny weights). I was laughing so hard I had trouble starting the exercise.

It's karma man. The universe knows and puts you back in your place.

LOL Cline, and your trainer's reaction to your laughing at the puny weights?

Admittedly, small musles do want small weights.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Given I can DL 225, Squat 205, and BP 115, he told me to get serious. Which, honestly, made me laugh even harder. I'm a wreck at training when I think something is funny.

I AM going the distance

I was looking up how to improve my 5K time, and came across an article that said this:

I have seen amateur runners near the end of a 5K race with their arms held as low as their hips, as if they’re too heavy a load to bear. If that is a problem for you, the answer is weight-training. No, you don’t need bulging biceps, and no, women do not bulk up when we lift free weights a few times a week. I’m only suggesting, for women in particular, to start off with a few sets of 3lbs dumbbells (or lighter if you wish) and gradually build up to 5 or 7lbs. By the time you’re on 7lbs, you’ll be shocked at how feathery-light the 3lbs weights feel. And you’ll never even think about the weight of your arms while you’re running. Instead, you’ll be running tall, with perfect form, striding along with ease and speed.

BHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

Guess I'll put down that 30lb dumbbell. I'm doing it all wrong.

whatever. fucking people.

The part I highlighted in red is key, I think.

I used to do Morris dancing and there are stick dances and hankie dances, and in the hankie dances you lift your arm up and wave the hankie around in ways that depend on what style of dance you do. My team was having trouble consistantly lifting their arms up high enough -- because when you get tired, form deteriorates, and it's easier to not lift your arm as high even if you aren't carrying the weight of more than just your arm. Remember, if you're holding your hand in the air waiting to be called on, your arm does get tired eventually, right?

So wearing a weighted wristband for practice is something that I think would help; if you get used to lifting your arm high when it's slightly heavier, it's much easier to lift your arm high when there isn't weight attached to it. (Alas, I never managed to talk my team into actually doing this.)

But the same thing goes here -- if you have problems keeping your arms up, carry weights around. When you drop the weights, your arms feel lighter. You could use 30lb dumbbells for this, but unless you're training to be as awesome as Rock Lee, 3lbs are probably enough in this case.

But if you aren't worried about what you're doing with your arms and want to improve your 5K time, do heavy squats and build up those leg muscles. :)

Yes this^ When this thread was first posted, I was pretty offended by it. I typed several replies only to just delete them. I was one those that started out at 3lbs, some of us really are that weak when starting out. I hope no one sees that post, that is at the point of using those 3lb weights a think that what they are doing is useless.

Why be so judgmental, just because you can do more?? Doing more, doesn't make you better than someone that can't do as much.

1 Rep Max Deadlift-180lbs

1 Rep Max Clean and Jerk-90lbs

1 Rep Max Push Press-70lbs

1 Rep Max Back Squat-135lbs

1 Rep Strict Press-65lbs

Fitocracy

2 weeks till Hawaii

Archived