Forums are back in action! ×

Need Advice on a lifting routine

Adama1508

So I decided a couple weeks ago to get better at life. I started lifting with a buddy and running. I am 21 years old, 5'11" and weight 240. I play keeper in lacrosse so I am looking to lose weight, but also get much stronger. I also am doing an extreme 5k (like a baby tough mudder) in September. My friend is in Air Force ROTC and is a climber and he is in great shape.

I joined into his lifting routine but it doesn't seem like a lot. He has a program where the lifts we do 4 days a week are Bench, Squat, Deadlift, and Overhead Military Press. We do 3 sets. The first set is 5 reps on a low weight, the second set is 5 reps on a manageable weight. The final set is as many as you can do on a higher weight. Then we do a couple ab exercises.

After this I usually run about 1.5 miles.

Should I be doing a different workout for what I want?

Our lacrosse workout was separate days for upper and lower body and was a lot more involved.

Thanks everyone!

-What do you hear?

-Nothing but the rain

-Then grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Sounds fine to my non-expert ears (eyes?). I was in the same ballpark when I started at the gym, and can attest that it's unnecessary to spend super-long times in the gym to burn fat; just have a vigorous 45min - 1 hour routine that leaves you sweaty and disheveled at the end. I've had pretty good success doing this kind of routine, even just over the course of 3 months.

If you want more lifting exercises, and it doesn't take too long, maybe throw in dumbbell lunges and dumbbell rows. Those are two that I like, personally.

Kewilson - Misfit Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Operation Phoenix: 6-Week Challenge Thread

STR: 2 (+2), DEX: 0 (+1), STA: 3 (+0), CON: 4 (+0), WIS: 5 (+0), CHA: 1 (+3)

If you stick with the big lifts, squats, deads, OHP, and bench, even at low reps and few set it can help tremendously. You don't need all of that fancy stuff like the ab curl machine or to cable crossovers. I personally do a couple sets at least, and if you really want you can throw in a couple accessory exercises (for me- dumbbell rows, t-pushups, pull/chin ups ect), just don't stay too focused on the accessory exercises. Focus on the big lifts, continuously up the weights, and practice good form on top of everything else.

also, protein is your friend if you want to keep the gains that you're making if you always plan on doing cardio after the lifts. props on you for waiting till after the lifts to do the cardio though.

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

So I decided a couple weeks ago to get better at life. I started lifting with a buddy and running. I am 21 years old, 5'11" and weight 240. I play keeper in lacrosse so I am looking to lose weight, but also get much stronger. I also am doing an extreme 5k (like a baby tough mudder) in September. My friend is in Air Force ROTC and is a climber and he is in great shape.

I joined into his lifting routine but it doesn't seem like a lot. He has a program where the lifts we do 4 days a week are Bench, Squat, Deadlift, and Overhead Military Press. We do 3 sets. The first set is 5 reps on a low weight, the second set is 5 reps on a manageable weight. The final set is as many as you can do on a higher weight. Then we do a couple ab exercises.

After this I usually run about 1.5 miles.

Should I be doing a different workout for what I want?

Our lacrosse workout was separate days for upper and lower body and was a lot more involved.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone! Today was actually the first day (of course it would be the morning after I posted here) that I felt like I was seeing results. Next week I think I am going to be doing at least 1 set with a 45 lb plate on either side of the bench for bench press... Sure it doesn't sound that impressive to a lot of you but that will be more than I have EVER benched.... EVER! And today I felt like I was killing in on squats and I finally got my deadlift form really down... GREAT DAY!!!!!! thanks for everything guys

-What do you hear?

-Nothing but the rain

-Then grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Archived