Forums are back in action! ×

Someone called me a nerd today...

gymell

This person wasn't trying to insult me, she's a friend and can be kinda nerdy sometimes herself. But I can out-nerd most people. And my response to "you're such a nerd", is usually "try to contain your jealousy!"

Ahh I see! That is a perfect response! I will have to borrow that if you don't mind!

This person wasn't trying to insult me, she's a friend and can be kinda nerdy sometimes herself. But I can out-nerd most people. And my response to "you're such a nerd", is usually "try to contain your jealousy!"

Ahh I see! That is a perfect response! I will have to borrow that if you don't mind!

seconded!

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

My trainer called me a nerd last night.... LOL

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I should add that he referenced a lab coat, sterile gloves, and safety glasses too - none of which I wear in my job. LOL.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I told him I was gathering data regarding my "injury". I'm a researcher by profession.

I AM going the distance

At a former workplace, a coworker called me "cute weird." More specifically, he said, "You're weird, but--cute weird. Not, like, creepy weird." At the time, my reaction was akin to "Um, thanks...?" But with the benefit of hindsight, I now wear the badge with pride. Besides, I later found out that the guy who said that thought he had the best sense of humor on our department--his words!--yet didn't think The Princess Bride was funny. The heathen.

I once asked my mom, who's a Big Bang Theory fan, which character she thought I was most like, and she said Sheldon. I was a little miffed, but after rewatching an episode, I realized I should probably take being compared to a brilliant theoretical physicist as a compliment, especially since I have an artist's non-relationship with science--and math, for that matter. We stopped talking after I CLEP-ed out of those classes in college, and haven't been friends since.

Also, Abby from NCIS is my hero, though I'm not a goth. Nor a brilliant forensic scientist. See above comments regarding science and me.

...I'm not quite sure how this post went from labels to comparison with characters in media.

On another note, whenever I get called "eccentric," "nerdy," et. al., my standard response is, "Everyone's got a freak flag. Some of us are just brave enough to fly it," but I like gymell's response, too.

Point of technical correction: most of the girlfriends on BBT are just as stereotypically nerdy. And Penny, the designated "non-nerdy" character, has been revealed to have her own freak flag run up the pole as well.

That being said, I hear ya. I don't actually follow BBT because I just don't care for TV in general. However, when I do watch it, I find it funny for the same reasons that I as a D&D enthusiast find

and
hilarious. Making fun of stereotypes? Most definitely. Funny as heck? Oh yeah! Diff'rent strokes and all.

Lisa. Hee. :smug:

Jon Stewart after showing several clips of Congress members asking for "nerds" to come to the floor to explain exactly what SOPA/PIPA was said:

"When those idiots say nerds...don't they mean experts?"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."

~ Winston Churchill ~

LEVEL 1 HUME ADVENTURER

STR: 1 (+1) | DEX: 2 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 5 (+2) | CHA: 3

My Blog: All I Want For Christmas is Traps

Challenge: Josh Versus The Baboon Belly

Point of technical correction: most of the girlfriends on BBT are just as stereotypically nerdy. And Penny, the designated "non-nerdy" character, has been revealed to have her own freak flag run up the pole as well.

That being said, I hear ya. I don't actually follow BBT because I just don't care for TV in general. However, when I do watch it, I find it funny for the same reasons that I as a D&D enthusiast find

and
hilarious. Making fun of stereotypes? Most definitely. Funny as heck? Oh yeah! Diff'rent strokes and all.

Lisa. Hee. :smug:

I don't like the fact that they've turned Penny into an alcoholic this past season.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled nerdy programming. :D

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Archived