Forums are back in action! ×

I think I almost died today!

So, my name is Bec and I've been working on my diet and exercise for about 2.5 weeks now. It started with me counting my calories and trying to stay within a certain range. I then added my elliptical and some weight training. Earlier this week I found nerdfitness.com and have been tweeking my routines. Instead of 25 min on my elliptical going the same pace, I did a HIIT routine. That was yesterday and it was a way better workout than I had been experiencing. I talked to Steve a little bit and he recommended 2 things... switching to Paleo and doing his circuit training for beginners alternating it with my HIIT elliptical. Because I was already eating low calorie, switching to Paleo doesn't seem like it'll be too difficult. The circuit today kicked my ass. I can't believe how out of shape I am!!! I'll admit it's a little discouraging. I can't even do a "real lunge" because I had ACL replacement in Sept. and also because I'm just too overweight I think. I did a "modified" lunge and my goal is to work at it until I can do real lunges... however long that takes. That was the only exercise I flat out couldn't do but the planking and the jumping jacks were pretty damn hard too. More things to work on I guess.

I'm 33. I'm a mommy to a 2 yr old. I want to lose 100lbs. I want to be in great shape so I can keep up with my kiddo. I've been on diets all my life. I have never changed my lifestyle permanently and I have never made exercise a part of my every day routine so this is very new to me and I don't feel like I know where to start.... I'm thankful to Steve for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks for listening!

Welcome! As I always try to say to myself mid workout, if it makes you tired, achey and you wanna stop then you know that you're DOING something! That said, be careful not to injure yourself.

Come hang out with us and keep us updated on your progress!

They/them please

Welcome, Bec!

The only advice I'd give you is to start with 3 specific things you want to be able to work on in the next few weeks: working towards a full lunge, doing X sessions per week on an elliptical for Z minutes & doing a plank for Y seconds might be three examples here. Then work out what you need to do in order to accomplish each goal (lunges 3x a week, planks 4x a week, etc.)

Start small, start specific, start w/measurable! That way, you can see progress & that will encourage you to keep doing more...

Dwarf = Squad Adventurers

...walking all over that whole 'old and decrepit' thing

Why am I not playing along this time? Uhhhh...can you say crash, boom, ow?

I may be almost 50 - but I hardly act my age. Follow me for mercurial, smartass randomness: @betsywhim on Twitter.

Welcome! Everyone has to start somewhere. I remember when I first did the bodyweight circuit,I struggled with everything, and after I did 1 circuit, my muscles told me they hated me and I was sure I would perish. A year later, I was did all three circuits witn only a short break between sets. I didn't progress quickly, but it's amazing how much things change if you are just consistent and work on it a few times a week

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'm with you! I'm 33 and have 3 boys who are very active! I went Paleo a week ago and so far am really liking it. It takes planning - but I already can tell a difference in how I feel. What is a HIIT routine? Is that a hill interval? If so - then I started doing those this week as well and really feel like I'm getting a much better work out. Good luck to you!!!

Nicole - HIIT = high intensity interval training. Google will have more if you want to look into it. There is a lot of info out there and a lot of permutations & combinations. One of the benefits is that you can boost your metabolism more efficiently by working out more intensely for smaller amount of time. The catch is that it can be hard for somebody just starting out to get to the appropriate level of intensity safely.

I second betsy's goal advice. It's important to have SMART goals:

Specific

Measurable

Achievable

Relevant to the bigger picture

Time sensitive

"Get busy living or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." - Red"I'm not losing weight, I'm evicting fat." -me

Archived