Forums are back in action! ×

Euro Cup!!! Who's watching?

cline

Yahoo! One of the few sporting events I really really love!

Who's watching? Who's your favorite?

I can't wait!

(and I love the olympics too! but no US football there this year - boo.)

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Oh definitely! 'cept Euro cup is all boys. boo.

But the US women's team is in the Olympics and our boys didn't qualify! woot to the women!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I keep meaning to start a football thread on here but I never know how it will go down what with most NFers being American. Presumably the Brit contingent will be a little more receptive.

I'll be watching, supporting England despite my family being mostly Welsh and therefore anti-English. I don't think the English stand a chance, but as the usual unrealistic expectations have been replaced by a strangely muted pessimism they might just shock everyone. It's probably the first time England have had a better chance of winning than the English press have suggested since 1990.

Spain should win it but Germany aren't far behind. After their awful World Cup a lot of people have forgot how great France have been at times and their squad now is probably stronger than it has been since the 1998-2000 glory days.

There's a lot of quality at this tournament with only one or two teams who have no hope which makes it quite a different experience to the World Cup. Group B is ridiculous with Germany, The Netherlands, Portugal and Denmark in there. I've chosen Denmark as my second choice team mostly because of the TV show "The Killing" and because I've always loved their 1992 Euro winning team despite not being old enough to remember it first hand.

I'll be supporting England first and foremost (obviously) but Spain will be my second team after England inevitably get through the group stages and then beaten in the first knock out round!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

skip-tracer I've got a little more hope with the current England squad (the ones that played the friendly on saturday) as Roy seemed to have left a lot of the prima donnas on the bench. My only concern is the lack of experience in a relatively young team. I still think John Terry should have been left behind though. Doesnt he still have a racism case hanging over him? And taking Caroll, what the heck was he thinking?? Still looking forward to Monday to see how this team performs. I'll be looking out for The Ox, he's really shone at Arsenal and I hope he can make an impact on the national team :-D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Yea! Great discussion so far.

My household technically supports England as my husband really works (telecommutes) in the UK most days and most of his co-workers are English.

I think we could see some good effort from the Czech Republic and from Poland this year, too. As always, Sweden could be good for a few upsets.

I think Germany will be tough and I believe the French are really looking for a rally. BUT I always keep an eye on the Italians - I'm a US fan and I think the Italians play a "very different" style (ahem).

Frankly, spousal work obligations aside, HUP HOLLAND!

I AM going the distance

As I´m Austrian I´ll watch but I don´t actively support anyone.

Germany has always been strong in tournaments, so they would be in my "most likely" list, depending if they shake their "Bayern-Shock" early enough.

Others are: Spain, Italy, France and the Netherlands (aka the usual suspects)

Underdogs: Denmark, Poland, Czech Republic.

Solvitur Ambulando.

skip-tracer I've got a little more hope with the current England squad (the ones that played the friendly on saturday) as Roy seemed to have left a lot of the prima donnas on the bench. My only concern is the lack of experience in a relatively young team. I still think John Terry should have been left behind though. Doesnt he still have a racism case hanging over him? And taking Caroll, what the heck was he thinking?? Still looking forward to Monday to see how this team performs. I'll be looking out for The Ox, he's really shone at Arsenal and I hope he can make an impact on the national team :-D

I agree on all points really. If I had it my way John Terry wouldn't be anywhere near the squad- as much as the "innocent until proven guilty" brigade would protest it just seems inappropriate to have someone with such an allegation hanging over him in the team. I also think he's a significantly worse defender than Rio.

The inclusion of Caroll and Downing is a joke- I read that Downing has 0 assists and 0 goals for Liverpool this season. I bet Caroll will be picked ahead of Welbeck too despite clearly being the lesser player. Carrick should have been included, I don't know why he's so consistently overlooked for England.

Oxlade-Chamberlain looks promising though, I hope he's more than this years version of Walcott in 2006. It's a shame that Cleverley isn't involved but I guess he didn't appear much for United last season and he may still be unfit.

I have no horse in this race, really, since I'm a born-and-raised American. I'll catch the games that I can, though I've got a few busy weekends ahead. I'm Welsch and Swiss, so no team to support there. I'll be rooting for Holland, for no reason other than I like their coastal engineering and want to study at Delft :)

For all you England fans, I'm sorry. At least as an American, our team isn't expected to do that well when it reaches the major tournaments :)

It starts today!!!!!!!!!!! Wheeeee!!!

Here's from last time (kinda blury but you'll see why we had to take it fast):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3768[/ATTACH]

And the US is in a WC qualifier tonight!

post-5151-13567244024787_thumb.jpg

I AM going the distance

US... ups and downs, man. Our friend took his son to see practice there last night and got some pics with the players at the hotel. So cool.

I AM going the distance

I didn't have high hopes for Poland v Greece as the first match but it's actually not too bad. Greece are awful but maybe that's a good thing, I'd hate to see a repeat of their 2004 anti-football success.

As an aside, what is the MLS like these days? There's some big names in there but the draft system seems to make it quite a different proposition to the European leagues, but I guess the richest teams would just dominate without it so maybe it's more fair. I randomly picked Portland Timbers as my MLS team because I'm a ridiculous hipster at heart but I'm not sure I've ever seen them play a full match.

As an aside, what is the MLS like these days? There's some big names in there but the draft system seems to make it quite a different proposition to the European leagues, but I guess the richest teams would just dominate without it so maybe it's more fair. I randomly picked Portland Timbers as my MLS team because I'm a ridiculous hipster at heart but I'm not sure I've ever seen them play a full match.

IMO, the quality is awful. I don't even bother to watch or pay attention to the team here in Chicago. Portland seem to be a decent side. Their supporters are the best in the league from what I understand.

Guest Snake McClain

I love football (I hate calling it soccer!). I'm in Florida now ans I saw the Usa/atg game. Missed the others. I really have to cheer USA because I want to see them become a more formidable threat. However I watch football because I love it. I don't care usually who plays or wins exception on a few cases. I don't follow players too much.

Lets hear it for those rockin USA jerseys last night yeah?

Ill catch more games when I make it back home hopefully.

Guest Snake McClain

I think I literally at this moment realized that USA/atg game was a qualifier for the world cup and not the euro. Nevermind. See. I dint follow. Just love to watch.

Italy, England and Ireland. For my best friend, my wife and my family in that order :) Not that keen on football but am very definitely alone in that regard around here.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Another Englander here. Regardless of the racism scandal I don't think Terry has the talent to be in the team any more, a team needs a veteran presence but we could have done better than him, Jagielka is probably good enough to start in his place. Other than that I can't for the life of me understand why Hodgson called up Stewart Downing, terrible decision. Oxlade-Chamberlain should hopefully be good, he showed some flashes for Arsenal this season but is still young and inexperienced. Hopefully he'll actually get some decent minutes.

Other than England I've always loved the Netherlands, always great to watch and they've got some fantastic talent. Germany are fantastic as well

Archived