Forums are back in action! ×

Yet another noob in the room :-)

Hello, everyone!

I came across The Nerd Fitness Rebellion {Awesome site, Steve!} while looking for some guidelines on workouts to get into shape to begin training in parkour.

I have been trolling around here for about a week, and have found so much useful information it was tough to figure out where to start.

So, like many before me, I will just start with an introduction. (with my apologies for the long first post!!)

My name is Reno, I live in Land O Lakes, FL, near Tampa, with my lovely wife, our 3yr old daughter and border collie mix (our first child :-).

I work at a global logistics company as an account manager (think pathological problem solver), so I am really, really fortunate that I get to do a lot of traveling for my job - both international and domestic. Although not as awesome as self directed travel it is way better than not traveling!

I love to cook, eat, drink, dance (swing/ballroom/solo), read, go camping/to the beach, game, meet people, travel, and, and, and.....you probably get the picture. :-)

From a fitness standpoint I have a mixed history and current situation.

Starting stats first:

5' 8", 194 lbs, 36" waist, 40" shoulders.

I study Bujinkan Ninjustsu (at brown belt level equivalent in other arts and working on getting my Shodan (1st degree black belt).

I am pretty strong (for short bits) and flexible(ish), but my overall conditioning is SOOO not where I want it to be.

Let's say I am chubby half-elf working toward Ranger / Assassin with the following RPG stats:

(based on the 15 starting points from the 6wk challenge page)

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 1 / CON: 3 / WIS: 4 / CHA: 3

My fitness history & current state:

I started in judo when I was 8, played football from age 7 until my sophomore year, wrestled and ran X-country (I really hate running) in middle & high school, fenced and ran a lot in college, studied aikido and jujistu in my 20's & 30's and have finally stuck with the Bujinkan (albeit in fits and starts) since the mid-90's.

Over the years, I have started and failed more workout plans than I can count (I won't bother calling them programs) always beginning with the highest level of enthusiasm, overworking myself and predictably falling away. Also predictably, I have steadily gained girth & weight from 150lbs/28" waist after college to my lovable chubby current state.

I started last week 3 times per week with a basic conditioning plan similar to the BWW plan:

2 x 10 Push ups, Pull ups (currently doing these resting my feet on a ladder), Lunges, Squat lunges, Dips, Ball Crunches, Leg Lifts, streching afterward

Add reps each week as possible.

This week I am at 12 reps per exercise and made a deal with my daughter so she asks me every day what I did to get rid of my big belly.

On to Goals:

Steve's article on turning my life into an RPG and leveling up really resonated (my wife was an Everquest Widow for a few years), and frankly I completely plagiarized his Epic Quest for Awesome to build on my own.

Given my hedonistic, basically lazy nature, and the depressing way my past BIG PLANS have fizzled, I am keeping things very simple and short term.

1) Continue basic training plan for 30 days

2) achieve 3 x 20 Push ups, Pull ups, Lunges, Squat lunges, Dips, Ball Crunches, Leg Lifts, verticle rows w/30 lbs

3) Focus on next step in goals - 5 x 20 Push ups, Pull ups, Lunges, Squat lunges, Dips, Ball Crunches, Leg Lifts, verticle rows w/30 lbs

I do not have a specific weight loss target. I am sure that when I hit the conditioning goals above I will be just fine, weight wise, and moving in the right direction.

That's it for now! From what I have seen on the forums, I am looking forward to meeting you all!

I like your goals Reenzo. What kind of time frame do you have in mind to have accomplished them by?

Well, the first one is pretty obvious,heheh.

For the second, progressing at 2 reps per week per exercise, I will be at 2x20 in my 6th week.

Week 7, I add the third set. Hopefully I can start at 10 reps, and progress over the following 6 weeks (or fewer) to fullfill the 3x20 goal.

Once THAT is done, we rinse and repeat until I get to 5x20.

Depending on how fast I can add reps and sets from that point (undiscovered country for me), will determine the next time frame. But if I go as slow as the first two goals, worst case is another 12-14 weeks, or a total of 23-25 weeks.

Part of the plan I didn't detail is that as each goal falls I will choose another one (either 1xfitness goal or 1+1 life goal) to add as the "new #3" goal to make it a ever receding carrot to chase.

I do have a longer term idea on how to progress further (based on the leveling up my life plan), but past "grand plans" have all failed, so I am keeping things to myself until I am firmly on the path.

Archived