Forums are back in action! ×

Are You Drinking My BROTEIN, Bro...? The Wacky World of ETFnerd...

ETFnerd

Agreed! Just can't imaging backsliding that much - 250lbs!

WickedPixie - Hopefully your mom didn't waste the $15K before she regained it all.

They say it's 80% diet, 20% exercise, but that doesn't take the mental aspect into account, which I think so underestimated.

She spent all the money on the surgery THEN gained it back....I cried for her, but she just won't take care of herself

so often i read about morbidly obese people who have been sexually or physically abused or bullied at an early age. from what i've read, the mind tries to disassociate itself from the body as a defense mechanism, and feelings of shame and guilt cause people to try to destroy the body that was violated by treating it like a trash can...

on top of that society, which failed to protect them as children, sh!ts on these people all over again by marginalizing them because of their body shape... these days i try to be mindful of the unseen circumstances that shape everone's lives, and try to respect everyone because they innately deserve it as a fellow human being... i'm not always successful as some people are really grating... however as one of the earlier slogans said... the goal is not to be perfect... but to be better every day...

i also try to count my blessings every day... :)

There is also the self-defense/hiding mechanism. If I'm fat, I'm bigger, and you are not such a threat to me. If I'm fat (and unattractive), then you will not prey on me sexually. I am intimately aware of these particular psychological reactions, both personally and in very close family members. The perception of a (fresh) threat can undo years of work. It is amazingly sad to watch this happen in person, believe me.

Understanding the mechanism is not a cure for it, but it can help find other ways to feel "safe", besides being bigger/unattractive.

Archived