Forums are back in action! ×

First NF post and first marathon

ellisd012

I'm a former 262 pound 5'10" network technician who began jogging again about 2 years ago at 39 years old - 1 mile, 12 minutes, near collapse...but I kept at it.

After about 3 months of jogging, I fell after stepping on a large rock and ended up with a sprained ankle. No jogging for about 3 months, began riding a bike after a month though...until I could begin jogging again.

Last fall, I saw a Runner's World magazine with an 8 week half-marathon training program, which I completed. I ran 4 times per week with a long, slow run on the weekend according to plan. I did not enter a race at the end, though my 13.1 mile run coincided with the Indianapolis marathon and half-marathon...I just didn't have the money at the time. I did the half-marathon by myself along a Rail-to-Trail in under 2:15:00. Yes!

Then, in January of this year, I found a 16 weeks to a first marathon plan online at www.runnersworld.com which I downloaded. This plan was 5 runs per week and the first week was more mileage than the final week of the half-marathon plan...but I could not resist the urge...so I found a fairly inexpensive, less than $80, marathon somewhat close to home which happened to be 16 and a half weeks away...the Sunburst in South Bend, IN. Go time!

When I started training I weighed 233, almost 30 pounds less than two years ago and I got a new pair of running shoes, New Balance USA570's. My first long run was the day after a heavy snow and I wore traction aids on my old shoes and hit the Rail-to-Trail for a 9 mile run with knee-high snow in some areas...but I kept at it.

I started to have some serious pain in my shins and it was beginning to feel like I had a hernia after I ran...so I got a Polar FT7 fitness computer/heart monitor (I love this tool!) and discovered I was running all of my runs to fast...I was racing every day...so I learned to slow it down...the pains went away in a week(!)...and I kept going.

About half way through, I discovered that I had miscalculated the 16 weeks to the race by a week...but it was a week in my favor as I began the training 17 weeks before the race...so I added a week of my own devising to the plan. This was a big help later, as my left foot began to hurt after runs, which got worse until I had to cut a long run short due to the pain...just 4 weeks before the race date. :(

Plantar fasciitis...no running for at least a week, ice, rest, stretch, and pray! I diligently iced every night, stretched my calves and rolled a tennis ball under my foot to stretch it out, and rode a bike to keep my wind up...and I got a new pair of shoes. I got fitted at a running store, Asics Gel Nimbus 13, meant for heavier guys like me. I tested them out after 9 days off and it did not feel so bad...but still hurt. I kept icing, stretching, and running for the 2 and a half weeks of the 'taper off' period...still going, but worried.

Finally, on June 2 was the race. I was carbed-up and ready for the 6 am start. Now 212 pounds and well over 500 miles under my belt during my training, but the furthest run was 21 miles, and the last time I tried for 20, I had to quit at 16 cuz of the pain...and not sure if my foot will hold up, along with the rest of me....Bang! Time to get going...:)

Well, I experienced some pain in my foot, followed by other pains, cramps, chaffing (just my arms at least...Body Glide works great!) and, well, mental/physical/emotional fatigue...but I made it. I only walked for a few seconds at each of the last few water stations while I was drinking to prevent spills/choking and I still had enough juice left to kick it across the finish line in Notre Dame Stadium. 5:09:04...that's 11:47 per mile for 26.2 (actually, I missed a turn and ran an extra block during the race before another runner let me know...oops!)

Yeah!!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=3777&d=1339193915 Very tired but energized Marathoner!

I have been reading NerdFitness for several months along with www.strengthrunning.com and www.nomeatathlete.com (yep, I'm a veg-head too) and I could not have accomplished this without leveling-up my life and learning how to do it properly with a plan, dedication, and follow-through...and without the support of Jen, my girlfriend, family, friends, and the online communities who have inspired and coached me along the way. Thanks to all of you...

"Try? Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."

Master Yoda

Celtic ScoutLevel 4Str 8 | Dex 7.5 | Sta 12.25 | Con 9 | Wis 10.5 | Cha 7.75Battle Log"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dude. Your story is awe-inspiring. Congratulations!

That is one hell of a level of commitment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."

~ Winston Churchill ~

LEVEL 1 HUME ADVENTURER

STR: 1 (+1) | DEX: 2 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 5 (+2) | CHA: 3

My Blog: All I Want For Christmas is Traps

Challenge: Josh Versus The Baboon Belly

Archived