Forums are back in action! ×

Love Your Body

I figured this was just off topic enough from anything else to post in here.

Working at a University in Residence Life, I was exposed to the Love Your Body Campaign pretty frequently over the past year. If you're not familiar, it's a campaign against negative body image, eating disorders, etc. Very relevant and necessary program. I also thought that given our general direction of goals and dreams for ourselves and the reasons why we're here, you all might have some interesting insight on the idea of loving one's body.

Personally, I really dig the program. Here's why.

I DO love my body. It's great. It's not seriously allergic to anything, it's got strong bones that don't break (even when I fall nine feet backwards and land on concrete). It gets me from A to B with two working legs and lets me do all sorts of fun activities with two working arms. I'm very blessed to have a great body!

BUT.

It's not perfect. Granted, it never will be, but the point is that right now, it's also unhealthy!

I love my body, BUT I want it to be healthy.

I love my body, AND THEREFORE I'm not content to live an unhealthy lifestyle.

BECAUSE I love my body, I'm putting in the work to get healthy.

And it really isn't about looking sexy. While I'm confident that at the completion of my goals, I WILL look darn sexy, I know that a large part of that is going to be the confidence that I'll have in myself after achieving a goal that I set for myself and the peace of mind in knowing that I'm living healthier and through my discipline I probably bought myself an extra two or three hours on this Earth. THAT'S what this is about for me.

I do love my body. I think everyone should. We're all created with different bodies and different natural talents based on God's design (in my personal opinion). As far as I'm concerned, every person is intentionally built to achieve their purpose in life. We are each unique, limited-edition, one of a kind people. What's not to love?! =]

I love my body, so I'm making the changes to treat it with the respect it deserves.

What are y'all's thoughts?

Cowboy - Human Adventurer
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Well, in fairness, I'm not too familiar with the program itself. It tends to be brought out by the University's health center and health education team in the beginning of the year, right before spring break, right after New Year's Resolutions...I've never looked into it too far, but I thought I could assume the overall message pretty well.

Here's their website's "What's It All About?" page that's way too long for me to read at 4:13am.

It's a nice set of ideals, but any tips on internalizing them? I've only been trying for about 20 years...

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

It's a nice set of ideals, but any tips on internalizing them? I've only been trying for about 20 years...

I'm almost definitely not the best person to ask about this. I've barely been alive twenty years, and really only giving serious consideration to my life in the past three.

BUT.

What I have found is that there are a number of authors with particular insight on this. Shad Helmstetter, whose name I may have misspelled, wrote a book called What to Say When You Talk to Yourself, in which the basic premise is pretty obvious. We faulty humans speak negatively to ourselves more than 70% of the time. Or something like that. I find that intentionally speaking positively to and about myself is a huge force for good. The important factor here isn't whether or not you believe it. If you keep it up, eventually, you will. Vince Poscente, is his book The Ant and the Elephant talks about how our conscious minds utilize 2,000 neurons of our brains. Conversely, our subconscious thoughts engage 4,000,000,000 neurons. A slight difference. In other words, if you can say positive things to yourself enough that it becomes part of your subconscious, your brain will be way more engaged in giving you positive self-talk, and it becomes habitual and unnoticeable. The great thing is, your conscious mind might say, "This isn't true. I'm not great, wonderful, or invincible. I've got all this list of failures and faults, etc.", but your subconscious mind literally doesn't know the difference between what you say to it and actual reality! In other words, if you program your brain to know that you're great, wonderful, and invincible, your subconscious brain will make sure you feel that way, because it actually believes it!

For programming your brain like that, I'm a big fan of positive affirmation statements. Write down something positive, affirming, and meaningful to you, and read it AT LEAST right when you wake up and right before you go to bed. At a minimum. Keep my affirmation statements in the ID slot of my wallet or taped to my steering wheel so that I see them multiple times a day, and usually have one taped to my mirror as well. Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, and Jonathan Edwards (three of the greatest figures in America's history) each utilized this principle through developing resolutions. For example, Benjamin Franklin had 13 resolutions to improve his life that he studied a week at a time, so he went through all of them four times a year. Jonathan Edwards read his 190-something resolutions once a week, I think.

Either way, the point is, your mental diet is just as important as your physical diet. You've GOT to put good and positive into your brain for your brain to get good and positive back out.

Hopefully something in there is useful...

Archived