Forums are back in action! ×

I'm uneven

My savagery needs assistance.

I always thought it was a postural problem when seeing me from behind, but the more I look when I stand in the mirror... I'm actually just uneven. Someone confirmed for me that one side of my back muscles is better developed and more well defined than the other.

A picture says a thousand words. This is me standing without a mirror to correct myself in what I think is "natural posture". My spine is fine, I don't have scolliosis or any pain arthritic or otherwise. I'm just... uneven.

How do I fix it? Will DLs just exacerbate the problem? Will this make me twist when I squat heavy?

Current mode: Bulking for strength, trying for 4k Cal/day

Current routine: Gym 6 days/week 4 days lifting split between upper and lower body. Focus is on planes of movement Upper body; [horizontal push/pull, vertical push/pull] Lower body; [squat, GHD, RDL and Leg Press] I don't have the strength in my primary muscle groups to "Just do compounds"

post-6588-13567244026976_thumb.jpg

post-6588-13567244027131_thumb.jpg

Have you ever been to a chiropractor? Does this actually cause you any pain or discomfort in your lifts.

I think the question becomes, is this a musculature issue or a spinal issue? One, you can work on, the other you need some professional help with.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

I'm almost certain this is musculature. Other than being uneven I'm absolutely fine. No history of spinal issues. Strong hereditary bone density. Granted I sit at a computer desk like gollum, but I'm flexible enough for it to not hurt. I can keep a bridge going for 4-5 minutes.

I'll look into hip mobility, but any suggestions in the mean time will be helpful.

I sit at a computer desk like gollum, but I'm flexible enough for it to not hurt.

You're young, that's why it doesn't hurt. It'll catch up to you. I have a bunch of friends, my age, in IT who now have to do shoulder rehab with little pink weights or soup cans.

You should work on your posture, especially when you're in front of a computer. I'm guessing when you stand your palms face backward instead of toward your thighs? You should start strengthening your shoulders sooner rather than later - face pulls, pull aparts, internal and external rotations, and scapular push ups (I haven't tried these myself). And do wall slides and dislocators for mobility. Doing 3 X 10 of all of those every other day (and working on posture) pulled my shoulders back where they belong, although my right shoulder still droops because of a rotator cuff tear.

I'm not an expert, but I would assume that strength training would be beneficial as it would help even out the strength differences. You should do twice as many pulls as pushes until things even out.

I know it isn't bothering you now, but it looks like a pretty big difference in the photos. You should have it evaluated. I'd go to a sports medicine group that has PTs on staff so you can do take care of it now before it becomes a big deal.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Muscle imbalances are best fixed by trading in the barbell and (especially) machines for dumbbell and one limb work. Force your muscles to be even.

And everybody has the strength to just do compound exercises.

One of the bigger problems with machines in general is that the restricted range of motion tends to promote and enhance muscle imbalances.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Muscle imbalances are best fixed by trading in the barbell and (especially) machines for dumbbell and one limb work. Force your muscles to be even.

And everybody has the strength to just do compound exercises.

One of the bigger problems with machines in general is that the restricted range of motion tends to promote and enhance muscle imbalances.

Agree - one thing I'd add is that for some exercises, doing them in front of a mirror to watch your form can be useful. I broke my left elbow about 17 months ago in a bicycle accident - my left arm is weaker than my right as a result, and when I'm doing an overhead press with dumbbells, the way my left arm wants to rotate is different(less pronounced wrist rotation). If I'm watching this, I can consciously focus on the range of motion for each arm and make sure they match. If I don't, I'm sure the difference gets exaggerated.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

If you have access to a massage therapist with sports training, they can assess your musculature and teach you (very!) specific stretches and mobility exercises to help correct your imbalance. Most MTs charge $60 for an hour-long session, so it's pretty affordable. Just be sure that you A. Verify that the MT has sports training, and B. Make sure to tell your MT that you want to learn self-stretches/exercises so that you can continue to improve outside of MT. Oh, and if the MT you see is working out of a spa/salon, be sure you tip them: most establishments take a good chunk out of that $60, so even a little fiver is much appreciated. :-)

Edited to add: If there is a MT school in your area, student massages are usually about half-price ($30); clinic work is part of the curriculum, so the school usually charges less since the massages are practice for the students.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

That's good advice. "I'm pretty sure" is all well and good, but we older nerds have been sure and wrong at least once. :) A session with a physiotherapist or sports mangler will clear that up and they'll often be able to suggest specifics that will help your case -- for example, if you slouch like Gollum all day all one-sided, things like hamstring stretches have an eerie ability to cascade up the body.

Mind you, I can slouch on a gym ball. :)

I have a similar issue, and like Dillpedo mine originates in my hips. I don't have scoliosis or arthritis or any real bone "issues" but due to 'microtrauma' as my chiro puts it, my hips get crooked which affects the rest of my body and causes me to build muscle unevenly (and, lately, I'm starting to get some back pain again, think it's time I need to find a chiro in my new city). I didn't notice it at all until it got bad enough to start hurting my spine due to the imbalance, but my lifestyle involves a lot of concussive motion from training sport horses, so most people probably wouldn't get the pain as quickly as I did. It can't hurt to get checked out by an MT or a Chiro who specialize in sports rehab, if nothing else they should be able to point you in the right direction for evening yourself out.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

I have a similar issue, and like Dillpedo mine originates in my hips. I don't have scoliosis or arthritis or any real bone "issues" but due to 'microtrauma' as my chiro puts it, my hips get crooked which affects the rest of my body and causes me to build muscle unevenly (and, lately, I'm starting to get some back pain again, think it's time I need to find a chiro in my new city). I didn't notice it at all until it got bad enough to start hurting my spine due to the imbalance, but my lifestyle involves a lot of concussive motion from training sport horses, so most people probably wouldn't get the pain as quickly as I did. It can't hurt to get checked out by an MT or a Chiro who specialize in sports rehab, if nothing else they should be able to point you in the right direction for evening yourself out.

You train horses!? Pics! I demand pics! There's no place for me to ride in this crappy town, but I can drool over pics!

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

You train horses!? Pics! I demand pics! There's no place for me to ride in this crappy town, but I can drool over pics!

haha, I can't do a lot of riding in this crappy town right now either, but will be moving by the end of the year to somewhere less crappy! (or at least I hope so, unless the AF screws us over...)

Do we have albums or anything on here? I can upload some of my pics there if we do...

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

My little brother trains horses. And not those dainty horses that you ride around a field of sand and make do funny steps. Racing horses.

My "dainty" horse that I ride around a field of sand and make do funny steps probably has a good thousand pounds on most thoroughbred race horses... I also jump and used to run cross country, so we'd do dainty steps in the arena, then fly over logs and ditches and through water at top speed. I don't have the guts for cross country past a certain level, but I still jump. And occasionally take the thoroughbreds that the racing world is done with and build them a new career as amateur sport horses.

Most people compare dressage to Ballet, and I get why, but I like to compare it more to Martial arts, heavy on the "art" side. It's all about functional strength and training the horse's body to be utilized to its fullest and most efficient potential. And it originated from cavalry training. Those "funny steps" had a purpose in battle and in training the horse to be the most fearsome combatant possible.

...And I'm stopping now. I know that you didn't mean to be offensive, but it's a tricky subject that I don't want to derail a thread or debate about here.

Get yourself to a good doctor and make sure the imbalance isn't spinal. If it isn't you're fine. My left shoulder is noticeably higher than my right, which causes the bar to slant on my squats, but that's it. I can still lift just as heavy and do everything fine. If you're primarily lifting, it should even out in time.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I have a very similar issue. My right pec is lower than the left and offset onto the side of my body slightly. As a result, it is deformed and where pec muscle should be, there is rib... but below that, where rib should be, there is pec. I've always been this way and the muscle works fine - my right side is slightly stronger and MUCH more coordinated than my left.

Archived