Forums are back in action! ×

Mattress and bed frame

shiggles

Mattress

I’ve just been handed down a queen size bed frame from a family members. Size wise this will be an upgrade for me so now I’m looking at a mattress to suit – this is admittedly annoying because this is the expensive part.

But it does make me think – for a typical bed set up (not ensemble, futon etc) what is the purpose of the frame? There was only a few reasons I could think of.

- Western idea that you should sleep elevated.

- Space to store junk underneath.

- Use the bed ends to prop some pillow so you can sit up in bed and read.

So what are the reasons stopping me from just putting a mattress on the floor and sleeping on it without a frame?

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

no good reason I can think of. The only reason I have a bed frame is because the person who used to live with me had mobility issues and could not get down to the matress on the floor...

*** please place your autograph on the line _____ ; so I can sell it on EBAY when you are famous ***

We don't use one, and it bugs me, because I think a bedframe makes a room look nicer. Other cons: it's a little more work to clean, as dust and crud will migrate to the edge (we use a boxspring, so at least the sheets don't get dirty faster.) It's quite a drop from standing height - which means that if we don't go to bed at the same time, it's pretty disruptive, and although neither of us has mobility issues, it makes DOMS suck just a tiny bit more.

Pros: I think it's cooler in summer. It's quieter - less parts to squeak. Mobility issues for the kittycat = mostly solved. And yes, it does make the room look bigger. Less storage space = less clutter, easier to vacuum room. Makes a crappy, cheap mattress less uncomfortable (floor = full support of mattress)

I'm not sure if this is a pro or a con, but we never get monsters under the bed, either.

My dream bedroom set would include a captain's bed (with the drawers), which to me, would be the best of both worlds.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

We have captains bed so 3 drawers on each side. Solves not having room for a dresser in our bedroom too. Ours is a repurposed waterbed frame but we now have a sleep number bed. If we ever decide to get a new bed I'll still go with the same style but I'd love to ditch the side walls that are form the old waterbed. More something like this:

http://www.westelm.com/products/storage-bed-frame-f829/?pkey=cheadboards-bed-frames

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

We don't use one right now, and it's driving me nuts. It just doesn't seem as comfortable to me; I don't like the way it looks; and being somewhat of an organization enthusiast, I really miss having the under-the-bed storage space. If you want to try it, go for it, and if it works, more power to you!

The other issue which may or may not be an issue is critters. That may be where the western idea of elevation comes from.

"The Force give me the patience to hold my tongue when I can't change something, the courage to kick @$$ when I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. "

PR: 10k 1:54:00; 5k 0:54:34; 1m 16:20; Chinup 51%

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amazon Adventurer

STR: 2 ¦ DEX: 4 ¦ STA: 1 ¦ CON: 1 ¦ WIS: 6 ¦ CHA: 3

Same Shirt, Different Day

I think it's just a personal preference thing. Some people really like sleeping low to the floor. I don't see anything wrong with that. I happen to like sleeping a little bit higher up, so I like having a bedframe. (Also, my house usually has pets about, and pets = dustbunnies. The higher you are, the fewer dustbunnies fly into your mouth while you're snoring... but if you vacuum regularly, I guess that's not such a problem.)

Also, according to feng shui (not exactly "western,") it's good to have air circulating around the bed. Good vibes, or something. It probably reduces the chances of moisture buildup underneath the mattress.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Archived