Forums are back in action! ×

Smashing targets

martinb

It's been a great couple of weeks. Last Monday I ran in my first 10k race. When I started running in April, I had originally set myself a target of completing a 10k race in mid-July in 55 minutes. Well, last Monday I finished my first race six weeks ahead of target in 55:53! It was a pretty hilly course (which I didn't know until I was on the start line, chatting to other runners) so I was really pleased with that time.

With five weeks to go until the 10k I had originally signed up for on 15th July, I'm re-focused now on my training and this evening did some cross-training on the rowing machine. It was the rowing I did from January until April that kick-started my weight loss and gave me the fitness base I needed to start running.

This evening, after two months without using the rowing machine, I set a new personal best of 18:55 for 5k! Running a total of 112k in the last eight weeks has clearly helped improve my fitness levels beyond recognition. I even felt good enough after the rowing machine workout to throw some weights around for a bit!

One final Woot - I've now lost 41lbs since the start of the year. This means I'm within spitting distance of my original goal of getting from 228lbs to 185lbs. While this is mostly down to diet (strictly Primal since February), the exercise (rowing machine, running, cycling, kayaking and walking) has all helped to keep my metabolism up.

Archived