Forums are back in action! ×

Hamstring Injury, I need a Medic!

Ghost

Ghost here,

I've had a nagging discomfort in my left hamstring for the past two and a half weeks. I didn't think much of it at the time.

It just started one day after I was a week into my training for the splits. Making amazing progress, but then my left hamstring

just got an ache. I kept going, still doing my normal bodyweight and flexibility workouts. Another week later, and I was going

backwards.

Halfway through my normal range of motion for stretching I just stopped. I couldn't go any further. I thought I should be able to but I can't.

So now today, I finish the day with a workout, and as I cap off my training, I stand up. My hamstring was just seized up, I can walk, but my ROM

is a bit limited. It is sore when pressure is applied, and most of my mobility in the splits is gone.

And I was so close.

But I am just a student, I don't need to worry about it I said. She'll be right, as I always think.

Youth solves everything, or so I think.

But as I sit here with an aching hamstring, whining and feeling sorry for myself, I think I need some advice.

What should I do? I can answer any questions you need.

Thanks in advance.

If being a student means you can see a sports injury doc, or a physical therapist, or even just a doctor or nurse, then

DO IT. Do it now. If it doesn't mean that, do it anyway. Probably someone local can help you figure out how to get affordable medical treatment (I know nothing about Australia's healthcare systems).

(Guess who didn't do that and ended up with nagging injury/physical therapy/mild to severe pain/limits on what she could do/crazy medical bills/eventual recovery... and wishes she had just gotten it sorted by a sports injury doc in the first place. If you guessed Georges, you're right!)

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

RICE! Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. That's what you do when you injure a muscle. Rest it, put ice on it, massage it and try to get it above heart level as much as possible. Cannot remember why these things are the things to do but it's something ingrained in me by my warrior grandmother. I do think it's best to catch these things early and if it lingers, yeah go and show an expert, HOWEVER: I hurt my arm last week and I was getting kind of worried because it felt really wrong somehow, I was envisaging a weird trapped nerve or a twisted tendon or something, just because the pain was so dull and nagging and everything felt tight and horrible. I rested it: it went away, no problem. So, I wouldn't panic.

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

Archived