Forums are back in action! ×

"You need to get a new hobby..." [RANT]

If you're looking for other things to put in your space I'm a big fan of this one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3885[/ATTACH]

Bruce Lee's Hobby (Life) was kicking ass and working out. Nobody would question that.

Love this. Definitely going up on one of my walls!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

that guy is a jerk.

next time say it's your lifestyle. what could he say to that? :)

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Hmm, I've read this and I've been known to have co-workers and acquaintances tell me things like "I had to kill your Facebook feed because you were talking about Crossfit so much". I mean its understandable I guess. Some look at the recent Crossfit/Weight Training thing as cultish. It is why it's joked about drinking the Kool-Aid. So I guess looking at it in this way, if you're coming off as an over the top fanatic I could see. However, if he just said this based on your tile, then dude's got some insecurity. Probably needs you to let him win at Mario Kart to be okay.

Hmm, I've read this and I've been known to have co-workers and acquaintances tell me things like "I had to kill your Facebook feed because you were talking about Crossfit so much".

You do talk about Crossfit on Facebook an awful lot :tongue:

I don't see why people feel the need to tell you they blocked your updates. Do they think you care? That you might want to adjust what you share on Facebook so that the maximum number of friends are interested?

I've blocked feeds of people that I'd like to remain Facebook friends with but their updates aren't really interesting to me. I didn't feel the need to tell them this though.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I guess my first reaction to a statement like that would be to ask "why?" Make him explain his stupidity.

THIS. I like to think the best of people, so maybe there's some benign explanation to his comments? Getting an explanation might help you understand if he's worth the breath you expend to talk to him.

"Get busy living or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." - Red"I'm not losing weight, I'm evicting fat." -me

Unfortunately, that's not an uncommon reaction :( I think it's a mix of insecurity/jealousy myself. If you enjoy what you do, keep at it!

Even though he's not "party member" during my journey, my husband is supportive and proud of my accomplishments. I usually go out for lunch with him and a few of his coworkers. A couple of weeks ago he was joking about how I was probably going to be able to kick his butt soon, since he could tell I was getting stronger just from playful wrestling and tickle fights. One of his coworkers looked at me with a mix of disgust and contempt and declared how he could never date a girl that was stronger than him, to which I replied that it was ok, because strong women probably didn't date insecure men anyway. We haven't really seen eye to eye since then, but I couldn't help myself.

Who doesn't support someones hobby, regardless of what it is?

Loads of people! Collecting hobbies? You're a hoarder! Group hobbies? You're co-dependent! Solo hobbies? You're antisocial! Nerdy hobbies? You're a loser! And so on. Insulting other people's hobbies is almost a hobby in itself. ;)

I don't see why people feel the need to tell you they blocked your updates. Do they think you care? That you might want to adjust what you share on Facebook so that the maximum number of friends are interested?

IME a lot of those conversations play out along the lines of asking "How's your cat/grandmother/partner?" and they get upset that you didn't know that the cat ran away, the grandmother died and the partner left them until you tell them "I blocked your updates because of the hourly Assassin's Creed fanfiction/inflammatory politics/weight loss updates".

Wood Elf Assassin
  -- Level 10 --
STR 26 | DEX 13 | STA 19 | CON 7 | WIS 14 | CHA 14

Unfortunately, that's not an uncommon reaction :( I think it's a mix of insecurity/jealousy myself. If you enjoy what you do, keep at it!

Even though he's not "party member" during my journey, my husband is supportive and proud of my accomplishments. I usually go out for lunch with him and a few of his coworkers. A couple of weeks ago he was joking about how I was probably going to be able to kick his butt soon, since he could tell I was getting stronger just from playful wrestling and tickle fights. One of his coworkers looked at me with a mix of disgust and contempt and declared how he could never date a girl that was stronger than him, to which I replied that it was ok, because strong women probably didn't date insecure men anyway. We haven't really seen eye to eye since then, but I couldn't help myself.

Wonderful retort! I never think of those at the time, always when it's too late, so I'm always impressed when other people just have immediate comebacks.

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

One of his coworkers looked at me with a mix of disgust and contempt and declared how he could never date a girl that was stronger than him, to which I replied that it was ok, because strong women probably didn't date insecure men anyway. We haven't really seen eye to eye since then, but I couldn't help myself.

Solid comeback!

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I went in circles with a coworker who said I was going to get all "steroidy looking." when I said I wasn't taking steroids, he said, "I know." I asked how I could look like I'm on steroids if I don't take them. He said from lifting so heavy. I said, but you only look like that on steroids. Otherwise there would be no market for it. After awhile I felt bad for his baseless insult, and stopped talking.

Most people who do this stuff are insecure and unhappy. Let them be. Or if you have extra energy from being in such great shape, feel sorry for them.

I think you're awesome. Tell them this is your lifestyle. Being awesome is your hobby!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

You do talk about Crossfit on Facebook an awful lot :tongue:

I've blocked feeds of people that I'd like to remain Facebook friends with but their updates aren't really interesting to me. I didn't feel the need to tell them this though.

Mental Note: Adjust statuses so I'm not so Crossfitty...or find another hobby..LOL

Grab the person, pull them real close and whisper this in their ear... :encouragement:

(apology if the language in it offends, mods please delete if necessary)

YES!! THIS!! ^

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

In my opinion weight and other training to be more functional, age well, and resist injury = critical self-improvement.

Running a marathon, benching 300 lbs, squatting 2xBW, one-arm pull ups, etc = hobby. A hobby that is good for you if gone about intelligently , but a hobby.

Me personally, I don't have hobbies. I just do things that I enjoy, all day, every day. I don't have a job, cause I consider it way too much fun to be a job. I don't have down time for a hobby to take up. Parkour on the weekends? Let's do it. 2 hour Tricking session in the middle of the day? I'm down. Feel like sparring? I'm good to go, now or later. Sittin down to play some MTG or D&D or MW3? Any time (I've always got a couple of Magic decks in my backpack). A hobby to me is something you use to fill the time when you have nothing better to do, but WANT something better to do. I never WANT something better to do, because I'm always doing things that I enjoy way too much to want to do anything else.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

STR: 8   STA: 10

AGI: 10   WIS: 5

CON: 7   CHA: 4

We must DARE to be GREAT;

and we must realize that GREATNESS is

the FRUIT of TOIL and SACRIFICE and HIGH COURAGE

A hobby to me is something you use to fill the time when you have nothing better to do, but WANT something better to do. I never WANT something better to do, because I'm always doing things that I enjoy way too much to want to do anything else.

I keep seeing that sentiment, can't say I really agree. Hobbies are things that you do for fun when you're not working/fulfilling life obligations, that take some effort (so something like parkour or MtG or home brewing is a hobby, mindless channel flipping isn't.) If you practice a sport and you have no desire to make money at it, it's a hobby.

I love my hobbies with a near-obsessive devotion. While work is what I'm paid to do, hobbies are what I'm willing to pay to do.

Being consumed by hobbies (as opposed to doing what you're "supposed" to do like watch TV and hang out in bars, or being a workaholic) is practically the definition of "nerd" in my mind.

FLATSNAP

Troll Warrior - Squad A

STR: 5 DEX: 1 STA: 2 CON: 3 WIS: 2 CHA: 2

"With ignorance and arrogance, success is assured!"

Current Challenge

Archived