Forums are back in action! ×

Willpower woot

EightDigit

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't a *huge* deal (won't solve the energy crises or bring about world peace), but I'm pretty darned happy about it.

One of my oldest friends works part time (he's getting his PhD) in a pretty cool little ice cream shop here in town. In addition to some really tasty organic treats, they have a large bank of pinball machines as well as a decent little selection of assorted beers. This place is more or less tailor made for me- have a double dip of a tasty confection in a fresh made waffle cone, drink a beer or three and spend a couple of hours playing pinball. In between beers, I'd go outside with him and smoke (cigarettes, thankyouverymuch) and shoot the breeze.

He and I don't get to see much of each other these days due to my work schedule as well as the fact that he's married, has a full course load, and works. I miss him, he's one of the few people in town I can just be myself with.

I got my dates confused and thought he was having one of those rare periods of "do-nothing-ness", and reached out to see what he was up to this evening. He was at work and invited me to come visit. I was about to say no due to the temptations offered at his place of employment, but since we rarely get to hang out I relented.

I was kind of stressed as I walked in the door, because I felt like I might be setting myself up to fail... the sugary waffle cone smell was calling my name... but then I thought about all the work I've put in recently. I knew a cone would lead to a beer which would lead to a smoke. So I just decided "no".

This is kind of a big deal for me- I am a *master* at justifying my own bad behavior. The classic "well, it's just one cigarette" or "well, a beer isn't going to be the worst thing in the world" or "ooooh, VEGAN ice cream is healthier than the other stuff...". Instead we sat and drank coffee and talked about what's going on in our lives for a couple of hours. When he'd get up and help customers, I'd sit and read or write. After that initial walk through the door I didn't think once about having a beer, a cigarette, or eating ice cream until I was sick. I had a great visit with a friend, got some reading in, and sauteed some zucchinis and mushrooms when I got home. Woot.

tl;dr= went to a local establishment filled with temptations, bypassed them all and hung out with a good friend. Stayed paleo and went cigarette free. rawr.

EightDigit - Level 1 Dwarven RangerSTR: 3 | DEX : 3 | STA : 3 | CON : 2 | WIS : 2 | CHA : 2Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade.-Rudyard KiplingBattleLog | G+ Account 

That kind of resisting is so hard for me - way to go! Congratulations :)

Also - that dog in your avatar is AWESOME.

Human Druid/Cleric - LvL 3
STR (6.5); DEX (4); STA (9.5); CON (10); WIS (9); CHA (3)

I will not live my life based upon the ideals of someone else. My value is inherent in my existence.

Long term goal: King Pigeon and Dancer.

Awesome! C'mon, lets be honest, one of the scariest things about making life changes for health is worrying about losing fun times with friends & family. I think this woot is bigger than you think it is. :)

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Awesome! I completely understand how much of a w00t this is! I went through something similar today. Walking home from volunteering, I passed my favorite restaurant and, even though I had money in my pocket, I told myself "no", walked in to greet the owner, walked out and went straight home!

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

Thanks everyone, it's pretty awesome :) It nice knowing that I don't have to completely avoid both my friends and places where I might be tempted to break the new habits I'm building for myself.

//edit-- & Skirler- that's my dog Cassady/PigBull/Monkey on her first roadtrip. She's just as goofy & awesome as she looks in that picture :)

EightDigit - Level 1 Dwarven RangerSTR: 3 | DEX : 3 | STA : 3 | CON : 2 | WIS : 2 | CHA : 2Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade.-Rudyard KiplingBattleLog | G+ Account 

Archived