Forums are back in action! ×

Going Nuts looking for for Nuts!

MistressFox

Ok long story short, my boyfriend and I are looking to convert our diets over to something more akin to a Paleo diet. Not a huge deal really and it's an easy first step for both of us. However HE is allergic to peanuts/tree nuts, beans and shellfish. Which cut out a lot of options/alternatives for us. He can do things like almonds and cashews and it's a PAIN in the butt to find any other Nut assortment that isn't roasted in peanut oil. I'll admit I'm not an overly worldly person so I really don't know what else is out there and am hesitant to GET new things without knowing what to do with them.... Tonic just interduced us to the YUM that is grilled zuchinni! Before then? Never really been a fan of the odd yellow thing in the produce section.

But anyway, Any suggestions?

Paleo might be a good match for him because it excludes peanuts and beans. You guys are going to want to center your diet mostly around vegetables, fruit and animal products (meats, eggs & possibly dairy). Nuts aren't a necessity. If you want to snack on them or use them as a garnish, buy individual varieties of raw nuts instead of "roasted" assortments. Also, he might consider coconut or seeds like sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

-jj

NF: Treedwelling assasin. Druidish leanings. Gnome.  

IRL: Amateur circus geek.  Mad cook. Mom. Mad Max junkie. 

i think there's something like nuts.com where you can buy nuts in bulk. buy the nuts and dried fruit that you like (unroasted) and then mix up however you choose.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I like buying nuts raw and roasting them myself. I never use additional oil for that. Wait, maybe that's toasting?

I agree, you shouldn't NEED nuts.

Since you mentioned squash, not sure if youre looking for veggie ideas? I'm a big fan of cauliflower mashed potatoes and cauliflower fried rice. I also love grilling red onions, green peppers, zucchini and mushrooms (I swipe a little olive oil on then salt and pepper - I use skewers). My parents like pineapple on their skewers. I generally grill the veggies with marinated steak or chicken.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Archived