Forums are back in action! ×

The Swedish Study

Serenity

I think Steve did a good job today in using the publication of the Swedish study to talk about how to evaluate new information. He was balanced and wrote an article that will continue to stand when new articles come along.

I want to talk about the Atlantic's write-up of the study: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/06/time-to-retire-the-low-carb-diet-fad/258343/

First, I want to observe that the author uses several rhetorical manipulations to entice you into agreeing with her conclusion. This is lazy rhetoric and it is lazy journalism.

"The Force give me the patience to hold my tongue when I can't change something, the courage to kick @$$ when I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. "

PR: 10k 1:54:00; 5k 0:54:34; 1m 16:20; Chinup 51%

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amazon Adventurer

STR: 2 ¦ DEX: 4 ¦ STA: 1 ¦ CON: 1 ¦ WIS: 6 ¦ CHA: 3

Same Shirt, Different Day

Yeah, that article pissed me off. She misrepresents the findings of the study which were not particularly conclusive to begin with. I think the article was written as click-bait. Just driving traffic. I expect better from the Atlantic.

"Get busy living or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." - Red"I'm not losing weight, I'm evicting fat." -me

Back with more thoughts -- The thing I'd really like to say to her is, "Look, we actually agree, mostly." We agree that we need a minimum amount of protein. We agree that whole foods, with minimal processing, are preferable to industrial food products. We agree that plants, especially in the form of vegetables, are essential for health.

And at the end of the article she says that it's obvious that sugar should not be such a huge part of our diet. That right there opens her up to "low carb" in many of its forms.

For me the convincing thing about low carb is having observed first hand for over a year how eating carbs makes me hungrier. So when I read "Why we Get Fat" and "Wheat Belly" it makes total sense that the GI impact of wheat and grains would be as high or higher than sugar.

I would love to ask her the question, "If it behaves like sugar when you eat it, is it sugar?"

"The Force give me the patience to hold my tongue when I can't change something, the courage to kick @$$ when I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. "

PR: 10k 1:54:00; 5k 0:54:34; 1m 16:20; Chinup 51%

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amazon Adventurer

STR: 2 ¦ DEX: 4 ¦ STA: 1 ¦ CON: 1 ¦ WIS: 6 ¦ CHA: 3

Same Shirt, Different Day

Only sugar can really behave like sugar. Have you actually looked at the science behing GI AND the associated GL? You seem to misunderstand what the problem with chronic high-sugar intake really is.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Archived