Forums are back in action! ×

Hi there, I'm a uni student going into 2nd year. I like new experiences and I've tried various sports. I find I enjoy distance running (outdoors please) the best. About 2 months ago I moved from the East Coast all the way to the West Coast. It's been a big move, and I've tried to keep up running. I've slowed down a little because a close friend wants a walking buddy, so I usually do a 9 mile run 4 days and go on walks with them on three.

This brings me to one of the reasons for joining NF. Since I have moved and slowed down to help my friend, I've realized that for the past year I have been overtraining (running or walking 12 miles a day and very rarely taking days off), and while I eat a lot of food and most of it is healthy, I would like to learn more about nutrition to ensure I am getting the proper nutrients. I quit boxing 2 years ago due to school commitments, and I have also realized that although I have good speed and endurance, in the years since I've quit my ability to lift, climb, jump, and punch like I used to has gone down significantly. I'd basically like to become more well-rounded when it comes to fitness. I wouldn't mind sacrifice a little bit of running practice in order to get stronger and have a more balanced and sustainable workout routine, and this seems like a good way to start. Basically, according to body type, I'd be somewhere between a hobbit/kithkin and an elf. I'm looking to gain more (functional) strength. So I guess I'm a scout looking to become more of a scout/ranger or scout/warrior hybrid. :)

Hello there CuriousElf.

What exactly is it you're curious about, i thought elves were founts of all wisdom.

You're already exercising regularly, and you've got the discipline, so you're in good stead to pick up some strength now.

Have you had any thoughts as how you want to get there? bodyweight exercises? pick up boxing again? heavy strength training?

Don't forget to let us know how you're going so we can cheer you on.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Hello there CuriousElf.

What exactly is it you're curious about, i thought elves were founts of all wisdom.

You're already exercising regularly, and you've got the discipline, so you're in good stead to pick up some strength now.

Have you had any thoughts as how you want to get there? bodyweight exercises? pick up boxing again? heavy strength training?

Don't forget to let us know how you're going so we can cheer you on.

Thanks for the encouragement! I guess I always figured elves' knowledge came from all of the different experiences they had over their lifetimes, so curiosity helps you learn, lol. Or, you could also interpret curious in the "how curious" sense, which I guess would mean I'm kinda wierd :P For now I've been doing some bodyweight exercises like push-ups, chin-ups, and squats, but I am looking into getting a summer pass to my university's gym to check out their weight room and/or boxing classes. And of course I've been doing a lot of reading on this site to get some ideas and inspiration :)

Archived