Forums are back in action! ×

JUMP ROPE - any tips, tricks for becoming better?

AvettBro

Any tips, tricks for jumping rope?

I'm a little over 6'', size 13 shoe, and I just can't seem to do more than 3 jumps before my feet get tangled.

Working on getting the weight down so I can stay on the balls of my feet more.

I feel sort of embarassed asking this - like I'm the clumsy kid on the playground.

Check to see if your jump-rope is the right size. If you step on the middle with both feet, the handles should start at your armpits.

If you're rope's the right size, then your issue is probably timing. Find a bead or something you can stick on the rope (or grab one of those ropes with the beads lining them) and use the sound of the bead hitting the concrete to tell you when to jump. You should find a pattern that works pretty fast.

Check to see if your jump-rope is the right size. If you step on the middle with both feet, the handles should start at your armpits.

If you're rope's the right size, then your issue is probably timing. Find a bead or something you can stick on the rope (or grab one of those ropes with the beads lining them) and use the sound of the bead hitting the concrete to tell you when to jump. You should find a pattern that works pretty fast.

^Second!

And if your rope is too long, you can usually adjust in the handles. If my rope is even an inch too long, it gets tangled like crazy.

We did a lot of jump rope in grade school, and I think the beaded ropes are actually easier, in my opinion. We started with the double-bounce and skipping to get used to the rope. Double bounce, the rope moves slower and you bounce once in between rope turns. Skipping is where you're kind of hop-stepping through rather than jumping. Also slower revolutions. So those are my only other suggestions.

Good luck!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Agree with the others and add practice. Just keep at it. Somewhere along the line you'll get the rythmn. I'm still learning, but yesterday I cramked out over 100 jumps without missing-and when I started I was super clumsy.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

We did a lot of jump rope in grade school, and I think the beaded ropes are actually easier, in my opinion.

Definitely get a beaded rope. The extra weight on the rope will help a ton. I use a beaded rope at the gym and I can easily for jump for a while, but I bought a braided rope for the house and I get tangled after 5 jumps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gnome Adventurer

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | CHA: 3 | WIS: 4

Fitocracy | ePaleoCookbooks.net | Blog | Twitter

Any tips, tricks for jumping rope?

I'm a little over 6'', size 13 shoe, and I just can't seem to do more than 3 jumps before my feet get tangled.

Working on getting the weight down so I can stay on the balls of my feet more.

I feel sort of embarassed asking this - like I'm the clumsy kid on the playground.

Kudos on picking up the jump rope. Jumping rope has become a regular part of my warmup - good for the heart and the muscles and my ankles. I'm 6" and I use a beaded rope. When holding the handles I try and keep my arms at roughly ninety degrees (straight out) from my body. With my hands out, holding the handles, I like the rope to fall right behind my feet with just a little slack. Anything longer than that and I find the rope bouncing up when it hits the ground. I would also try spinning the rope to your side while jumping, just to help you get some of the rhythms down.

Good luck!

the most important thing(besides practice, practice practice!): You're jumping over a rope! You can't just leap, because the rope is coming back. You want little "skips" over the rope. It helps if you alternate your feet.

A tutorial

At your height, you should be fine with a 9 foot rope. At 5'10", I use either a 8'6" rope or a 8'11" rope. The 8'6" is pretty hard to do, but it's because it's an ultra thin rope, so I use it for double unders only. 8'11" is an inch too long for me, but it doesn't really matter that much.

I suggest you skip in rounds. Also, think of your first couple times as "skill workouts".

"You don't life for be sad, no?"

I use a metal skipping rope, it is a bit heavier and you can go faster, plus you don't need a bead because the thing is metal. Nice thunk to it.

Just do small bounces over the rope, not large jumps, but if you do tuck jumps then be sure to go easy. Land wrong and you may injure your knees.

I like to just alternate technique a bit, single leg, to double, to alternate legs.

For me you might need a slightly higher jump at the start but pretty quickly you shouldn't be bending your knees much. It's more of a skip than a jump with most of the work happening in your calves and forearms with your knees acting as shock absorption. I agree on keeping the hands by the sides at 90 degrees with as little arm movement as possible. When you get the rhythm it should be a flick of the wrist a skip of the feet and a cycle ends when you get tired not because you stepped on the rope. Personally I don't like weighted ropes, plastic, etc. Handles with bearings and a rope is perfect.

When I first Started, I would Do 1 single jump and stop just to get the feel down and get used to a general jump height. After that I started gradually trying to connect more. I found like others said the clack sound to the sidewalk very helpful. I have also used things like breath in for 3 jumps out for 2, or jumping to the beat of a song. These things helped me over time. The important thing is to have fun and know that with time you will get better and feel more confident about it.

Oh also I know this sounds weird but try not to pay attention to the rope it self while jumping. When I think about the rope I mess up faster. I just look straight ahead, concentrate on my Rhythm method and let my body naturally know that it's going to need to jump the rope next time it comes around.

Good Luck!

Archived