Forums are back in action! ×

New Challenger Approaches

A 23 year old with a semester left to graduate, I am ready to push myself further in diet and exercise. I am receiving my degree in Arts Technology (graphic/web design, video, applications..) To let off steam from being on the computer so much, I am an avid runner who likes to go out 30 minutes about 4 times a week and wear it off. I also go to my local gym and do kick boxing, free weights, and body weight strength exercises.

While I am not too disappointed with fitness (always up for a challenge), food on the other hand...

I am not overweight by any means at 5'6" and 132 pounds, but would like to see more progress. I eat what my family eats, since I am home from summer.. Which includes hamburgers, hamburger macaroni, spaghetti, bratwursts.. And for work I take in frozen Lean Cuisine meals. It's hard to not eat what the family is eating (since I AM a poor college student), but need to get started somewhere.

Looking forwards to words of wisdom from fellow nerds.. It's hard holding conversations with a lot of the guys at the gym who can't do much but stare at themselves flexing in the mirror.

Ninja Scout

LEVEL 1 Stats: STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

Welcome! sounds like you have a great fitness habit in place to work from. If you really can't control what you eat, the best thing to do for now is to make sure you keep tabs on how much you eat. I'm in a place right now where I can't cut out food groups (breastfeeding) and I've found that I can eat till I'm just full and still lose weight no matter what I'm eating (within reason!) Often it's only about a coffee mug full and it keeps me satisfied for about three hours or more. Since you aren't trying to lose weight, you probably would eat more, but it's amazing how little the body sometimes needs to thrive.

Other things to consider as far as controling types of food: could you cook one night a week and introduce some new favorites to the menu? check out some of steve's posts on make ahead paleo meals for your lunches or snacks too

so gladyou are here and best of luck-this really is a great community!

Working to become one strong mama.

Welcome! sounds like you have a great fitness habit in place to work from. If you really can't control what you eat, the best thing to do for now is to make sure you keep tabs on how much you eat. I'm in a place right now where I can't cut out food groups (breastfeeding) and I've found that I can eat till I'm just full and still lose weight no matter what I'm eating (within reason!) Often it's only about a coffee mug full and it keeps me satisfied for about three hours or more. Since you aren't trying to lose weight, you probably would eat more, but it's amazing how little the body sometimes needs to thrive.

Other things to consider as far as controling types of food: could you cook one night a week and introduce some new favorites to the menu? check out some of steve's posts on make ahead paleo meals for your lunches or snacks too

so gladyou are here and best of luck-this really is a great community!

Thanks. I've noticed this especially on days that I don't work out, my body doesn't need a whole lot in the way of food compared to weight lifting days.

I have been trying to get my family to try new things.. A few of them are into the 'don't mess with the basics.' Going to keep pushing however.. We'll get them there sometime. As for paleo... Not sure if I can go without grains with running and biking, but keeping it more complex carbohydrates with whole grains then anything. Meat is a favorite.

I am greatly amused by all of the articles I've read here.. Especially the one about the gym species. May try out the Angry Birds workout sometime.

Ninja Scout

LEVEL 1 Stats: STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

Archived