Forums are back in action! ×

Stop procrastinating and taking back control

Hi there everyone!

I was having this blast of a time going through r/bestof -knowing I was deprivating myself of much needed sleep, but getting a kick out of it anyway- when I found this reddit talking about some sort of challenge

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/drop-dead-healthy-the-lifehack-editors-fitness-challenge.html

I said, Cool! So head down there, to find they’re talking about NerdFitness. The term resonates so powerfully that I feel an almost primal urge to find out what is this. Not surprised if kids start to be christened with it as middle name.

And what I find is incredibly relevant. I absolutely love my job, but it is difficult for me to sustain a healthy work/life balance. Probably the fact that I work at a Chemical plant and yours truly is responsible for assuring that no-one inside the fence line gets hurt and that no impact to the environment/community stems from our operations has something to do with it.

Absolute Laser Focus is one of my nerdiest traits, and in the past years work was my main priority. I’m climbing the corporate ladder at a good rhythm and making 10x the first salary earned when I started my career 5 years ago. But this was at the obvious expense of family, friends, SO, hobbies and even my own health and wellbeing. I put on 20 pounds, acquired a plethora of unhealthy habits and went from running a couple of half marathons and logging 200 miles a year training in 2010 and ´11, to a grand total of 15 miles YTD for 2012. Back to square one and Couch potato again, Ouch!

It all snapped together, I’m primed to put the effort and the hard work to balance priorities. I only have experience with running but I want to push my body in every direction possible. I’m starting this 6-week challenge and will learn about diet and strength training as I go incorporating it at my daily life. I’m stepping into the unknown and ignore how S.M.A.R.T. my objectives are, but I’m just sick of letting the clock tick and doing nothing.

Timing could not be better.

Today I’ll start to close the gap between my current self and the Man I can become

Thanks for your comment, Athena!

I don´t have kids of my own yet. But I do care for an elderly relative, so I really understand the time pressures that running the household can bring. Usually for my running I use a nearby park that's half a mile from home. This having a two-fold advantage. I'm never more than a couple of minutes away from home if there's an emergency and I get there on foot so travelling time gets incorporated on the workout.

And one of my cousins (is) was a workout freak, so after his last injury I got to buy him a ton of equipment that now is around the house and with good space to use it, but for now I'm only doing body-weight training. After my endurance gets built I'll start adding some free weight moves

Archived