Forums are back in action! ×

Charleston, SC -- new nerd checking in!

Hey guys!

I just stumbled across this site Monday. I got the feeling I would be on this site a lot after reading just a few articles, but then I discovered a message board! :emmersed: I haven't actively posted on one of these things since college (eh, that was only about 3 years ago...) but I'm really looking forward to being a part of this community!

A little non-fitness related background -- I'm from Charleston, so I'm pretty sure I'm pre-programmed to love salt water and most things associated with it (surfing, fishing, boating, :hopelessness:biology). I was raised in garages and at race tracks (don't worry, not some street racer boyyeeee :stupid:) and graduated from Clemson in 2008.

I have always been pretty active, but didn't really get heavy into fitness until I started lifting weights and playing sports with my friends in college. I got into probably the best shape of my life by junior year, but an internship in Asheville, NC and poor planning of my senior year course load got me all but out of it.

Now, I work mon-fri 6-3 (though the past few months have been 6-5 and 6-1 saturdays), so it's been tough to find a fitness group around here that doesn't work out too late for me (I'm either already at work or eating dinner and getting ready for bed). I've been going to a free public gym during my lunch break to get my lifting in, and have just recently started jogging again. I fractured my bottom 4 vertebrae almost 10 years ago racing oval track, so I'm really struggling with keeping the back pain down and focusing on a stride that is a little easier on the joints. That being said, I'm pretty sure that I've been using the back injury as an excuse (the bones healed fine, I just have one slightly pinched disc) and that I could really strengthen that area up if I would put my mind to it. I've seen a lot of improvement just through (seemingly excessive) stretching and changing my running gait a little.

I've been slacking for the past handful of years and have just recently decided to see my excuses for what they are and do something about the rut (ditch? canyon?) that I feel stuck in. Not sure what flipped the switch, but I just kind of opened my eyes to a sea of 70% finished projects and grandiose aspirations that I would "work towards tomorrow".

Anyway, I came across this site trying to do some research on reformatting my diet and ended up finding what seems to be a site that is about not just fitness, but overall health. I look forward to sharing with you guys -- hopefully I can learn a little something and maybe even contribute with some of my experiences!

Thumbs up, lets do this!

--Bryson

post-7663-13567244175589_thumb.jpg

Archived