Forums are back in action! ×

Running Form

Artinum

Hello all. I've come to the conclusion that I want to start running, and I've made a start on a routine to work my way into it gradually, but I have a question - how do I sort out my form? Basically, how do I run?

I'm not particularly good at following written descriptions of stuff like that. I couldn't get anywhere on workouts if it wasn't for Steve demonstrating them in his videos - so can any of you recommend a good video for showing me how it's done?

Thanks!

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

I haven't got any video-links to share, but a thought: SweatShop (my favourite running shop) have instore treadmills for people to for example try out trainers before buying, and the staff is usually super helpful and experienced. You could go in and explain you are new to running, pretend you want to get some trainers and get them to take a look at your running style. In my experience they are only too happy to help out and I've never been made to feel that I have to buy from them even after they've spent considerable time helping me out. They have stores all over the UK.

Always kick higher

I was helped a lot by this NYTimes article. It doesn't show a whole ton of running, but the exercise in there improved my form a great deal.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

http://vimeo.com/12551218 is the only one I have bookmarked anymore, but I'd recommend chi running or POSE videos as well as barefoot videos. Even if you never plan on running barefoot, they can teach a lot, because no shoes = less forgiveness for bad form (both short and long term).

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

I was just coming here to recommend Chi Running. Also, go onto youtube and look for videos that highlight "Forefoot Running" position. I'm just working on moving that way now - after running for 8 years now, it's hard to change, but I'm glad I am.

FWIW - My workout buddy chided my running form constantly. And I always got terrible shin splints. To the point where I couldn't run more than 3 miles per day twice a week. I wasn't ready to vibrams, so I bought some New Balance Minimus shoes. The shoes really encouraged me to strike on the balls of my feet rather than my heels. I really didn't do much, It is just what came naturally from wearing the shoe. Shin pain - gone.

Although it took a few weeks for my calves to stop throbbing days after. I hit a distance pr last week!

I'll be getting Vibrams next.

Also, thanks to other posters and their great links to running form articles. Good stuff!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Level 1 Adventurer

[table=width: 300]

STR 7

DEX 1

STA 5

CON 5

WIS 4

CHA 3

[/table]

My 6 Week Challenge Thread

I too am a horrible runner....I basically slowly destroyed myself when I was in the Army. I've been researching ChiRunning while I'm losing weight....I don't really want to run lugging around extra weight right now when I'm unsure of my joints. I'm spending a lot of time strengthening my core, because that's a big deal in ChiRunning....basically using your core to control your running rather than powering through with your legs.

Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade.

Rudyard Kipling

Archived