Forums are back in action! ×

Men and Women - typical weight patterns?

shiggles

OK, so I’ve been thinking about men and women and weight. Particularly as I find myself comparing weight more often with men, especially as I haven’t found any ladies with body shapes similar to mine to compare to. But the guys are generally lighter than me, but is that natural or not? Note: I know I do have a decent amount of weight to lose. Even though I think they BMI is mostly a load of bull, I do see it doesn’t take into account gender, but should it?

Men tend to have more muscle, which is of course denser than fat. They also tend to be naturally leaner.

Women on the other hand will typically have less muscle, but tend to be less lean and require more fat to remain healthy.

So, at a given height, would you expect the man or woman to be heavier? And why?

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

Like you said (with the whole muscle/fat/leanness thing), men are generally a bit heavier at the same height, or leaner at the same weight.

Height is a funny thing though—I know a couple of guys who are both 160lb; one is 6'4", the other is 5'6". If you're a monster powerlifter, you might be heavier than a guy the same height, especially if he's on the skinny side.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Archived