Forums are back in action! ×

Aww yeah!

Ammo

A while back I freaked out. I'd been trying for YEARS to lose weight, but was caught in the one-step-forward-two-steps-back-trap. I need to be fit for my job, but I just barely passed the various fitness tests to date, and I was pretty pissed at myself that I wasn't even close to as fit as I thought I'd be by now when I started 6 months earlier. I ran my second half marathon the day before that post, and it SUCKED. And on top of that, I saw my sister's partner (for the first time since Christmas), who started working out around when I got the job, but had dropped a TON of weight. Arrrrghhh!

Reality picked up a brick and cracked it right over my skull. "L2P n00b, You're doing it wrong!" Reality is really effin rude eh? Sheesh.

I posted a long rant full of self-directed anger on these boards then promptly deleted it, because, well, I *really* hate being emotional in public, and it's really not in my nature to be emotional in the first place so I was embarrassed. That and deep down I wasn't convinced that I was actually going to do any of the things I'd said I was going to do about my self-inflicted misery and I didn't want that post there reminding me of how was failing. Again.

That was 7 weeks ago.

I spent the next few weeks babystepping my way into change - going to the gym more often, paying more attention to my diet, making a list of epic things I wanted to do that I needed to be crazy fit for. I also got an "exercise prescription" from the health dept at work (though I didn't start it right away) and I read Nerd Fitness articles like a crazy person.

Four weeks ago I found out I was being hired full time - I was like, SCORE! (I worked my butt off for that, this was a huge deal). But oh crap!!! Now I really, really, seriously need to get my ass in gear! The job is like, 10^∞ more physical than the one I'm in now, and I didn't come this far to screw myself out of my dream job because I'm Doing It Wrong. Luckily I was also told I won't start until August 27th, which gave me 3 months. Plenty of time! I started working out every day, not in any really sensible fashion, but I was getting used to the idea of having a proper workout 5 days out of 7 and some kind of less intense physical activity on the off days.

Two weeks ago I finally started on that exercise prescription. A week ago I started consciously adding extra physical activity to my day on top of the workouts (a walk, some yoga, random tabatas in the middle of the day) to reduce my sedentary time even more. And 5 days ago I decided screw it! I'm trying this paleo thing.

I feel effin amazing.

• I'm already seeing gains in the gym - more weight, more muscular endurance, more speed on the cardio.

• I lost 4 pounds. This week.

• I have so much energy, I'm never starving, I'm not craving junk food of any kind. The...digestive issues...that had been plaguing me since late winter? Gone, just like that.

• I can't wait for my next workout. WTF is this? I LIKE IT!

F*** yeah! I can't wait to see how I feel next week. And next month. And next year.

I came across that "How Bad Do You Want It" video on NF yesterday:

"When you want to succeed as badly as you want to breathe, then you will succeed."

True facts.

Archived