Forums are back in action! ×

Am I alone out here in the Hoosier state? (echo)

Hey there. The name is Wanderer, though you can just call me Cody. I am a nineteen-year-old currently living in Indiana (anyone else?), whose graduated from high school last year, and is now looking to enlist with the USAF. Unfortunately for me, I'm also incredibly inactive - I haven't really 'exercised' properly in about four or five years, and it's definitely taken a toll on my body. I wouldn't say I'm overweight (at 162 pounds) but I am horribly out of shape. And so now I'm on the path to getting fit. I'm just looking for some advice, discussion and inspiration for my journey to getting fit enough for the military. I'd rather exercise and get healthier/stronger on my own terms, not the man screaming in my face.

So! This is the first step, I suppose - aside from the running shoes that I purchased earlier this week. I hope I can get some good advice (and who knows, maybe I could even dish some out as well!)

Any questions, comments, whatever - feel free to post them here.

Welcome! I know there is at least one person in the Indy area. If you've never worked out, the Rebel Fitness Guide is a good place to start. Obviously you can get the USAF's requirements as use those as you goals. You don't mention how tall your are, and I'm guessing you're male. Depending on those 162# could be good or bad...

We'll be glad to help.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I'm nowhere near Indiana, but here's a member map that doesn't seem to be updatable (maybe 500 was the limit?)

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/spezzy

There seem to be a few Rebels in your state, some of them must be near-ish :)

And a new one that is updatable:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=216671605667690547223.0004c31a263a954bc133b

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

You are not alone, fellow Hoosier. Welcome to the Rebellion! I almost enlisted in the USAF after HS (many moons ago), but decided it wasn't for me. It is a very honorable path, and I wish you well in it.

The folks here are very helpful and encouraging. Any questions you have, don't be afraid to ask.

Elf RangerSTR-10 DEX-10.75 STA-7 CON-13 WIS-6 CHA-8Challenge Log

Hey Cody,

Welcome! I'm a born-and-bred Hoosier myself, and my fellow Rebel, husband, and partner-in-SHENANIGANS LWatcher also was in Indiana with me. This past year, though, we hopped the border to Ohio, though we still have family & friends back there, so I expect we'll be back often.

My brother's in the USAF. That's a right good way to go. I wish you all the best in it!

Thanks for all of the replies and support! It took a lot of soul-searching but I decided that the military was the best way to both serve my country and better myself both physically and mentally. My brother is an Airmen himself (and also just so happens to be my recruiter) so that, combined with my deep interest in technology, made the Air Force a natural selection for me.

You don't mention how tall your are, and I'm guessing you're male. Depending on those 162# could be good or bad...

I am 5'7" - at the moment I am just over the 'Overweight' limit on the BMI test here. How accurate it is, I can't say (I just found the website), but I am 25.4 on the categories, and the beginning of the Overweight category is 25. I'm not really fat or anything, though I have quite a bit of flab. It's mostly by inactivity that is killing me; I am having real problems with keeping up good habits like running every other day, or eating right.

Hey! I'm currently living in Indianapolis. Welcome to the Rebellion!

As far as getting in shape, maybe you should find out what's going to be required of you in basic training, and work up to that point. If you let us know what exactly you are trying to do, we can help you out as best we can.

Doing some research has turned this lovely little document that has a rudimentary training regimen, as well as the graduation standards. I'd like to get Warhawk... but I don't know if I have enough time between now and then to prepare for something like that. I almost faint at the thought of 65 Pushups, let alone 10 Pull-ups!

EDIT: Are the exercises listed there alright, or should I be trying something a bit more... precise?

EDIT2: A shame that I missed the starting date for this six-week challenge... might have to wait out for the next one.

Born Hoosier here, Delphi area. Live in Texas now, and I'm an Army vet, myself. Welcome to the boards, welcome to the Armed Services!

Delphi??? No way!!! You were born almost a stone's throw from my old stomping grounds. DH and I were in the Lafayette area for a long time. We still have friends over in Delphi.

Delphi??? No way!!! You were born almost a stone's throw from my old stomping grounds. DH and I were in the Lafayette area for a long time. We still have friends over in Delphi.

Lol. I know or am related to nearly every resident of Delphi. Pm me a few names! It would be interesting if we know some folks!

As a matter of fact, on june 24, I was IN Delphi!

The title of your thread made me laugh.

Hi!  I am echoes from Indiana.  :lol: 

I am from the northern part of the state, but I try to travel around.  There are tons of people here that are ready to encourage and support.  Are you looking at joining in on the next challenge?  It looks like it could be fun! 

Take care, and keep in touch if you would like.  :)

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

From western IN on I-70 right on the Ohio border about an hour and a half away from Indy. I'm currently in school in PA, though, otherwise I'd say lets try to meet up. But see if you can't enlist some friends or acquaintances in your immediate to join the rebellion. You could have your own little NF group that works together to help each other grow. I am going to be trying to enlist some people here at college to do the same so that I am not alone. Glad to see you on board though. I am relatively new as well, but the experience has been great so far and you can be assured that you are in good hands with this group.

Archived