Forums are back in action! ×

Coming In From a Different Angle...

Hello all on NF!

I'm a 28yo geek girl from Queensland, Australia.

Like most of you that I've read about, I work in a gov't IT department, surrounded by the bad habits of many.

I'm coming in and joining this forum for a different reason, not because I want to get fit - I already am - (more on that soon) - but because I was looking for a forum with real people in it, and not just those that want to bulk up for the ladeeez, but for real people with real emotions and lets face it, fairly sedentry jobs. I'm not casting a generalisation over everyone, more just talking about my own experiences and such. What I bring to the table? I've been there and done that. I've battled the food cravings, withdrawls, sicknesses and setbacks. (And the shame of walking into the mens changeroom by accident, at the gym, fully packed!)

I'm going to apologise in advance - I only know my stats in metric

Current weight: 66kg

Height: 171cm

A year and a half ago, I weighed 90kg after being stuck in a depressing helpdesk job with micro-managers who were akin to scum-feeding leeches for me. They caused a deep depression in me which caused me to eat copious and unhealthy amounts of bad food. After booking a trip for the end of the year (now last year) I was forced to consider the "moderate level of fitness required" and thought "well I'm not there yet" and i joined my local gym. I armed myself with a Personal Trainer, who I still train with to this day. Over the course of 8 months, I dropped 20kg by cutting out all the evil stuff in my diet, and exercising 5-6 times per week.

I took a break over the course of my trip, where I was the fittest person, and also the youngest. I maintained my 70kg weight for about a further 5 months, and in the last 3, have decided to slim up more.

I'm 3kg from my next goal, and its getting hard, stripping all the little bits of remaining body fat from my arms and waist, slendering and strengthening.

I follow a mostly-paleo diet - I say this because Im not diehard about it anymore, I followed it religiously while losing the large chunks of weight. Today, I still stick with it, but have relaxed my dairy intake a bit, being lactose intolerant already means I can't have too much fun with this, but has allowed the odd yoghurt or dessert to follow on nights out.

Fitness wise, I am an active member of the gym, and go there about 3-4 days of my 5 day workout habit.

I really, really enjoy running/sprinting, boxing and cycling. At the gym I do a mixture of free weights and machines (for shame) because of a few outstanding injuries, means I must do isolation exercises.

At the present time, I thoroughly enjoy slapping on my skins and going for a 5k+ run to de-stress from my job!

Welcome to the forum! I'm new here as well, but the atmosphere here seems appealing to me for similar reasons as you seem to have. I've looked at other forums and communities dedicated to exercise, but it seems like most places cater to those who want to get in shape mainly for the vanity in it. While that may count for something, it seems like here, people want to improve every aspect of their lives. The nerd culture does help a bit with "fitting in," but it really does feel like a more genuine place than most.

Archived