Forums are back in action! ×

Rocky Mountain High

Hello all.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a 22 year old guy from Denver, CO. I have an awesome wife and 18 month old daughter. Professionally, I aspire to one day become a law enforcement officer. As it stands now, I'm a jail bird working 12 hour graves in a non-sworn capacity for a larger agency in the Denver metro area. My only real claims to nerdiness are a childhood spent watching Star Trek and Batman cartoons and countless hours spent gaming (more specifically AoE 2: Conquerors and CoD:UO on PC; Halo 1 & 2, CoD:MW1 & MW2 and Black Ops, as well as the Assassin's Creed series on Xbox 360, with a few other less notable titles here and there).

If you're interested, my username here is the same as my randomly generated username for my Xbox Live account. Look me up if you'd like!

My fitness knowledge is somewhat limited, so I am here to learn. I grew up playing baseball and soccer for years with a tiny bit of organized basketball and volleyball (originally a SoCal kid, born an hour north of Tijuana). I continue to love baseball and root for my Rockies. These days all I really do sports-wise is manage and play on my church's softball team and love every minute of it, even if we can't win a game! In my first semester at a community college out of high school, I took a "weight training" "class" and learned how to use the row of Nautilus machines in the tiny gym. That didn't really do anything for me and I didn't stick with it. I spent the next few years playing around with different things, mostly basic, BASIC bodyweight stuff, with some occasional dumbbell pumping. It wasn't until I came across Nerd Fitness that I found real people dedicated to real fitness and real expectations. I decided to start in on the Beginner Body Weight Routine and I liked the flexibility and progress that I observed doing that. When I was able to afford a barbell, bench, and some weight, I began the Starting Strength program after seeing it referenced positively so many times here. I started that in the middle of December and my enthusiasm waned and I let life get the better of me and I fell off the wagon at the end of January. I picked up mostly where I left off in the middle of May and have continued 6 weeks strong through today. Being one of those scrawny kids growing up, seeing the sorts of strength gains I've made on this program has been a real eye opener.

As far as goals go, I don't have anything too specific (something I need to change, I know). I want to "do the program" as Rip puts it so...fervently and follow through with these progressions that I've been making on Starting Strength. Following through would also be a big, very vague goal for me in all facets of life. Since I haven't reached the standard bodyweight marks on my lifts, those would be goals as well.

I don't like running, but I really should. I do enjoy supplementing my indoor gaming with shooting, camping, backpacking, skiing, and other outdoor activities in America's playground/Rocky Mountains. Unfortunately, the time and money aren't always there for these things, so I stick to the lifting and softball. I HAVE been toying with the idea of taking a Krav Maga class to see how I like it.

Thank you for this community and for the opportunity to post this lengthy introduction.

What would the man I want to be be doing right now?

Welcome dude, lots of help on here to help you stay on the wagon this time! I say get involved witht he six week challenge if you feel up to it, its a great motivator.

LVL 5 Dúnedain Ranger

STR-12 DEX- 8 STA- 16 CON- 9 WIS- 14 CHA- 7'We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass'Find me on Twitter

Swim Coach at City of Southampton Swimming Club, CF coach at CrossFit Solent

Archived