Forums are back in action! ×

Can you help me get through 5 more weeks of hell with motivational strategies?

apoclater

Hi all,

This topic is in relation to this post I made quite awhile back:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?9815-Overcoming-Sunday-night-dread-Leveling-up-your-work-life

So I'm only 5 full work weeks away from finishing this rotation and I'm done with this job. DONE. I get to move on to my next role which will be like a sweet sweet vacation compared to this one.

However, I'm working from home today and I'm literally breaking down about this job. I have a consistent pit in my stomach about it, always worrying something will blow up in my face. Without going into too much detail about what the job entails (I think there is some detail on the previous thread I posted), I work at a large firm managing a $1 million project. And I absolutely hate it (again, won't go into the reasons, but just know I am counting down the days).

What strategies can I use to motivate myself to get through this? I'm thinking there is a way to either turn myself around and make this whole experience a positive...help me out, please :)

When I had a totally terrible job and I was focused on getting out, I also had to stay the course for a while. Here are some things I did:

1. Focus, really hard, on the the aspects of the job I can "take with me". These are skills building, networking, ability to claim ownership for projects, etc. While the place might suck and the job might stink, you can still have AWESOME takeaways. make a list of what you can "takeaway" besides the obvious and then make that your secret set of goals - work on it a little each day. For example, I worked to get a leadership position in a national organization in my field. It was still work, still work related, still approved use of company time, but it was a take away I could claim.

2. Network like crazy. Just tell folks you've made a goal to network. Learn as much as you can. Some of these folks will be "takeaways". This will also help keep you from burning bridges (even accidentally). AND it fills time with something really positive and gets your mind off the stress.

3. Focus on the people and tasks you like at your current job until you get out. I did a lot of this. I had awesome employees and a couple of dear friends at my last job. I spent time really working with them, pulling them onto projects, mentoring, etc. I even had "hide out" offices with friends (a little harder at home! LOL). There were even a lot of aspects of my last job I liked, so I tried to focus on those (putting in new data system = love!). there are some things you like, even if they are hard to find on any given day.

I went to my last job every day towards the end saying: I love what I do just not where I do it or for whom. It really got me through. Can you find something similar like: I'm so stoked about the awesomeness that is my new job and I will find a new takeaway from this job today because it will make my new awesomeness even better.....

Keep the faith - you're almost there!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

When I had a totally terrible job and I was focused on getting out, I also had to stay the course for a while. Here are some things I did:

1. Focus, really hard, on the the aspects of the job I can "take with me". These are skills building, networking, ability to claim ownership for projects, etc. While the place might suck and the job might stink, you can still have AWESOME takeaways. make a list of what you can "takeaway" besides the obvious and then make that your secret set of goals - work on it a little each day. For example, I worked to get a leadership position in a national organization in my field. It was still work, still work related, still approved use of company time, but it was a take away I could claim.

2. Network like crazy. Just tell folks you've made a goal to network. Learn as much as you can. Some of these folks will be "takeaways". This will also help keep you from burning bridges (even accidentally). AND it fills time with something really positive and gets your mind off the stress.

3. Focus on the people and tasks you like at your current job until you get out. I did a lot of this. I had awesome employees and a couple of dear friends at my last job. I spent time really working with them, pulling them onto projects, mentoring, etc. I even had "hide out" offices with friends (a little harder at home! LOL). There were even a lot of aspects of my last job I liked, so I tried to focus on those (putting in new data system = love!). there are some things you like, even if they are hard to find on any given day.

I went to my last job every day towards the end saying: I love what I do just not where I do it or for whom. It really got me through. Can you find something similar like: I'm so stoked about the awesomeness that is my new job and I will find a new takeaway from this job today because it will make my new awesomeness even better.....

Keep the faith - you're almost there!

Thanks! Great advice.

Archived