Forums are back in action! ×

Doing a Barrel Roll

Hi there, new here and stuff.

I'm former Army, but I've never really been good at running. And the Army doesn't really do anything to teach you proper running style besides parking a screaming drill sergeant behind you. As such, I completely destroyed my body from the waist down.

Fast forward to now, and I think I'm ready to go more hardcore. Stuff has healed for the most part, but I've lost a lot of strength from all that doing nothing I've been engaged in since.

I put on weight, starved myself, lost it, got GI issues, gained it back, all within the last 4 years.

I'm ready to kick out my scale and just focus on getting super strong. Ready to see if I can learn to run the RIGHT way and do it pain and injury free.

So far, I bought the ChiRunning book and have been studying that, and I am looking into signing up for a weightlifting class at my local community college because I am TERRIFIED of trying to learn stuff like the deadlift on my own for fear that I'll injure myself.

I joined a gym around 3 weeks ago and have been going 5-6 times a week. I signed up for swim lessons because I'm a really REALLY crappy swimmer and I want to learn how to breathe while swimming so I can do laps in the pool and that sort of stuff.

I found this community through someone on Fitocracy, and as a life-long nerd, I hope to find a home here :P

Gardens are not made by singing 'Oh, how beautiful,' and sitting in the shade.

Rudyard Kipling

Well welcome aboard!

You will find tons of helpful people here, and the same amount of excellent advice. We all have different ways of exercising/eating, but it all meshes together very well, and I am sure you can find what works for you.

Stick with it, and take it slow and easy one step at a time :)

Archived