Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from a juvenile delinqui... juvenile diabetic D:

Hey, I just joined NF and I was wondering if there are any other people here with Type1 Diabetes? Either way, here is my story:

When I was in the first grade, I started getting very tired and hungry all the time and gained a lot of weight very quickly. Blood tests revealed that I have an under active Thyroid. I had to start taking Eltroxin daily for the rest of my life. I didn't do any sport in those early years and didn't know about the whole 'different foods affect your body in different ways' thing. The extra weight also made it unpleasant to be active, so I got less active as well. I have always been a bit chubby. Around grade7, I started doing Tennis, lost my baby fat, but I wasn't lean. In high school I joined a gym and did yoga, tae bo, step and aerobics from time to time, but I never lost weight dramatically. I just got more tone. probably traded some body fat for muscle. I am definately an Endomorph. a tall-ish one.

When I was 19, First year studying Animation, I got really sick. I landed In the ICU with DKA(Diabetic Keto Acidosis) and was told that I have type one diabetes and would be insulin-dependent for the rest of my life (like my grandfather, who died when I was one year old. Heart and kidneys gave in. He was a great man, but he was also an alcoholic)

My own body killed off my thyroid and pancreas. Auto-immune disorders! Argh! And since I started using insulin, I've gained 18 kg (about 40 pounds).

I bought Isabel De Los Rios' diet solution plan. It was very interesting. It's about organic eating. Isabel mentions the paleolithic diet briefly in her e-book. When i first read about what you avoid while following the paleo diet, I was put off. But a year later, I was motivated enough to try it. I ate 100% paleo for three weeks, and got extreme, amazing results. In three weeks I fit into pants that didn't fit since a year before. BUT, then my big toe started to hurt. A LOT. I got gout (acid crystals deposited into joint when the body is too acidic. The first joint to be affected is commonly the base of the big toe) from rapid weight loss without exercise. I stopped eating paleo. I was so disgusted and discouraged. I gained back all the weight I lost, and more.

Looking back and thinking it over, this is what I've concluded; If you do the paleo diet, you need to exercise and drink plenty of water to help eliminate acidity(ketones) in the blood that occurs from rapid weight loss. I start eating paleo today and will be doing resistance traing everyday. :emmersed:

I Am looking for a support buddy that would like to email and trade stories, recipes and training tips.

You can probably see how I got to this website and why I joined. I adore NF and its articles:highly_amused:

Welcome Cola, my son has had type 1 diabetes for 18 years so kinda know a little about how you feel etc. Just thought I would add (seeing I am probably not the right person to team up with as I don't have diabetes) that I have noticed when my son exercises regularly he looks and feels better; and also gets sick less.

I really do believe exercise is a must for all but def plays an important role with diabetics.

Good luck with your change of diet and exercise routine, it is great to see you are trying to improve your health etc :)

'Don't quit, two words, that's it' :-)

Archived