Forums are back in action! ×

Trying to get my mojo back

Bob-gar

Lately, I've run into some difficulties with my diet and exercise routine, as I'm sure lots of you have before. Given my lifestyle as a commuter, and my wife working on her graduate degree, we spend a lot of our time away from home, which forces us to eat out more than we'd like. In the past, this wasn't as much of an issue. However, now its becoming more and more difficult as our typical eateries are becoming bland and the routine is getting old. Pair this with an overtraining injury (apparently trail running in minimalist shoes is TOO MUCH fun >.<) and I'm in a pretty rough spot. I'm finding it harder and harder to get back to where I was before.

I still very much enjoy fitness and lifting and I still have my goals in front of me, all within reach. But being this close to my goal makes it harder and harder to lose those last few pounds and those last few percentages of body fat. This foot injury has me second guessing myself every time I stand up and I'm just not quite sure what its going to take to get it back to where I was. Eating is 80% of the battle, but its getting pretty damn difficult to get back on that horse named "Paleo".

Where do you find that extra level of motivation when you think you've lost your way?

"Being stronger will make you better in every conceivable aspect of your life, except of course being weaker."

Fitocracy: https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/boudain

FitBit: http://www.fitbit.com/user/297TR5

RunKeeper: http://runkeeper.com/user/boudain/profile

I leaned on other athlete friends. I whined here.

Athlete friends were awesome (and yes, I have a problem from the same footwear).

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Try switching up some things in your routine. Take the injury as an opportunity to try something else—yoga, swimming, more lifting—anything you've said "That looks fun" about in the past. I'm fortunate enough to have seasonal shifts in my training, because I'd get incredibly bored otherwise. You might just find something new that you love as much as what you're doing now.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

It's so easy to fall into a routine of convenience where food is concerned. I'm not sure how widespread SeamlessWeb is around the country, but it's a convenience nightmare. I can order anything I want from the phone app and never have to stand up or speak to anyone.

When takeout seems like the best choice, 80% of the time it's because my apartment is not properly stocked with items to cook with -- eggs, animal protein, a crisper full of vegetables. I've found if I have have the fixin's to make even a simple omelet, the chances that I'll order a platter of tacos goes WAY down. So nowadays, I'll buy a family pack of pork chops or chicken thighs, for instance, use a couple right away and freeze the rest. The only way to battle the convenience of bad food is to make the good food just as convenient.

Archived