Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone!

I can not believe my luck to stumble onto a site this awesome! I love everything about it thus far!

Well a couple things about me to get the ball rolling...

I'm a yoga teacher (eryt-500) and have been practicing for around 7 or 8 years. I love my yoga practice and everything about it. I'm also a chemist. I am currently working on my master's degree. I kinda love the dichotomy of being a scientist and yogi... (the look on people's faces when I tell them is also awesome, heheh)

I am a HUGE sci-fi/fantasy fiction nerd. I read all the time. On my kindle right now is: Brandon Sanderson, George RR Martin, Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, Frank Herbert, Jim Butcher, Robin Hobb, Patrick Rothfuss...etc... I'm always up for new author's so people let me know!! I also enjoy old school gaming, web comics, ren faires and anime... you know, the works!

The reason I'm here:

I love yoga, but I have felt for the past couple years its not taking my fitness to the level I want to be at. I would really like to start strength training and building more muscle. This is a problem since I have no clue really where to begin, and I don't have a work out partner, so doing stuff with spotters is not going to happen. I've used freeweights in the past but feel like a complete ass. I'm a check list type person, give me a list, and I'll get it done... so thats why I'm here, to research and make myself a list.

I'm sure I'll be in the Druid section a lot and I hope everyone feels free to ask me whatever questions about yoga that they might have! :) but I'm really here to get advice and ask question on how to take my fitness and my body to the next level! Thanks everyone and I'll see you around the forums!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pixie Druid: Currently on first challenge!

STR - 2 CON - 2.5

DEX - 4 WIS - 2.5

STA - 1.5 CHA - 2.5

OHAI fellow north Texan nerd! I just recently found Patrick Routhfuss and holy heck I hate waiting for books! The Kingkiller chronicles are a gem.

There is plenty of info on strength training here, from body weight stuff (check out the Assasin's Den) to weights (Warriors Forge). If you go the free weight route I highly recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It was one of the best beginner programs out there and his book is a great resource on correct technique. There is a Wiki that includes the Program and a section on the Lifts. It is a great resource if you don't get the book

Poke around the forums a bit and if you have questions or advice or random nerdy comments don't hesitate to post:D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Welcome! What bigm said (that usually applies), and don't forget to check out Steve's free articles for free-weight beginners:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

Lots of great info there for newbies (including checklists!). It'll let you know the types of workouts you need to focus on for solid compound routines but perhaps more importantly, they'll give you the confidence you need to design something that works best for you once you know a few basic moves.

Oh Hai! Looks like we had the same idea for location! & I'm a newbie to the site as well. Curious now how close or far you are from me. I just started yoga last week at the Base gym & let me tell you, you instructors are ruthless with those darn hip opener stretches. =/ LoL

But, if you're anywhere near 10-ish miles or so from FtW, there is a CrosFit gym that combines CrossFit & Gymnastics I think you might like. =)

Oh, & welcome to the site! =)

Dragon

Classless BUT Aspiring Warrior Monk

Rookie Level: 0

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

"The difference between ordinary & extraordinary, is that little extra. Happiness is a direction, not a destination"

PVP No Soda Challenge

Yes! Thats awesome there's NTXer's here! I'm in Lewisville... so kinda bit from everything cool at the moment... :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pixie Druid: Currently on first challenge!

STR - 2 CON - 2.5

DEX - 4 WIS - 2.5

STA - 1.5 CHA - 2.5

LoL, NTX Nerd are the Awesomest!! <-(is so a word in the Neko dictionary) You're not too-too far from me. I'm posted up in Arlington. :victorious:

Dragon

Classless BUT Aspiring Warrior Monk

Rookie Level: 0

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

"The difference between ordinary & extraordinary, is that little extra. Happiness is a direction, not a destination"

PVP No Soda Challenge

Rothfuss. The one author that actually got me excited about fantasy again after 2 or so decades. Waiting for book 3 is going to drive me bonkers.

Welcome to the site!

EightDigit - Level 1 Dwarven RangerSTR: 3 | DEX : 3 | STA : 3 | CON : 2 | WIS : 2 | CHA : 2Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade.-Rudyard KiplingBattleLog | G+ Account 

Archived