Forums are back in action! ×

New here...new to trying to be in shape...I also enjoy Ninja Gaiden immensely

I sent this to Steve as well, but then realized he might be a busy man; so here goes;

Aight, here’s the deal. I’m 30. Married. Father of one (soon to be blessed with number two). I’ve been able to set aside 30-45 minutes a day for working out. I’m on day 3.

Let’s back up a bit.

I started eating a lot better, mostly by counting calories and went from 265 to 230 in a 3-4 month period (not sure when I actually ‘started’). I wasn’t trying to watch weight, but waist line. I’ve went from a 40-42 back down to a 38 size, which I hadn’t seen for quite some time. Now I’m ready to start the next step. I’m flabby. My arms, especially triceps are a joke, as is my chest (or lack thereof). My love-handles are also as prevalent as a bad George Lucas re-imagining. I want these gone like the digital effects inserted into the aforementioned atrocities.

On day 1, I started with about 15-20 minutes of body resistance working out. Push-ups, crunches, etc. Today, I did what I haven’t really ever attempted since leaving my teens behind, running, and more particularly a truncated version of the HIIT method that you prescribed. It felt great when I was able to breathe again.

Anyway, where I work we have a free, pretty decent gym. I’ve never used it.

My question (finally) is this:

Should I work toward reaching bigger goals with body resistance/at home workouts before heading to the gym to try my hand at freeweights? Or would I see more progress by jumping into a gym/free weights situation?

I guess to put it nerdily, do I need to level up my strength before proceeding to the first dungeon? Or would I be gaining more XP points if I delve into the dungeon and spend some time fighting the enemies there for a bigger XP gain?

Thanks

(Ninja Gaiden has no bearing on anything other than being awesome in general)

Hey theundyingfire,

Welcome to the forums and Congrats on your second child!

As per your question: both bodyweight or gym sessions will improve your strength. I don't think at this point in the game, it's going to make much difference which one you do because they'll give you the same results you're looking for. They can both be ideal starting grounds. The home (bodyweight) sessions aren't a lower level as the gym (dungeon) as you put it. They can in fact be used interchangeably. Why not just give both a shot and see what you like better? The best one will be the one that you enjoy doing and that you'll be able to stay consistent with.

Good luck with your goals!

Latest: How to Get a Beach Bod in Only 15 Minutes a Day http://fitforlifepledge.com

Here's the important question: what do you want to do? Like Tola said, both bodyweight and free weight training are going to advance you towards your goals. The important part is finding something that you'll enjoy and stick with. Does moving huge amounts of weight appeal to you, or does moving your own weight efficiently? That may not be the answer you're looking for, but you'll be happy in a year when you look at your progress and didn't hate the journey.

The "bigger enemies" will always be there to fight—start where you're comfortable, and move on when you think you're ready. There's no advantage to going too hard and burning out before you even really get started. Congrats on the first step in your journey!

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Have you met a barbell yet? They're gloooooorious. You should check if your work gym has them handy... because being from the Warriors Forge, I'm obviously going to push you towards finding heavy things and lifting them repeatedly.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Archived