Forums are back in action! ×

Can I just use a really big kitchen?

Corbab

I've heard the phrase "strength is build in the kitchen," and I'm wondering how far that extends. I plan on going all out with my training this summer (nothing like a national competition for inspiration), and I'm hoping that a good diet will give me what I need to support what I'm doing.

Here's my basic workout plan:

• Rowing: 1 hour, 4 days a week
  • SS (regular 3 days a week)
  • Supplemental weights (Bear complexes currently, thinking about widowmakers): 2 days a week
  • Sprints: 2 days a week (hills or erg)
  • Low and slow: hike/kayak/etc 1 day a week

All this works out to 2 workouts a day Mon-Thurs, 1 a day on Friday, and 1 weekend day

This is a decent amount of work (I think), and I am definitely feeling the need to refuel. Assuming I don't do something stupid and hurt myself and I'm eating enough, am I going to see positive results from this much work? Does anyone have any diet/nutrition tips for a big workload?

By the way, I'm 6'2", 200lb, ~10% bodyfat according to the tape measure, and my energy consumption comes out to around 4,500 calories on heavy work days.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Was it you we were discussing overtraining with Corbab?

You are going to want a gigantic kitchen to fuel your body man, food and rest galore to keep that workload up.

Prediction: Corbab on the front page of the world newspaper for breaking some sort of 2 man sculling record.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Corbab, what are your training goals?
I'm looking to improve my rowing performance and my 2k erg score. I'm joining a new team this fall, and I'd like to make a good boat.
Was it you we were discussing overtraining with Corbab?
You mean underfueling? :P
Prediction: Corbab on the front page of the world newspaper for breaking some sort of 2 man sculling record.
haha I still have 5 years to drop another 46 seconds from my 2k and make the U23 team, so we'll see.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Archived