Forums are back in action! ×

Exercising with a cold

Vickyloo

Hey, I'm looking for some advice.

I have had 2 rest days in a row now and had planned on cycling 15 miles tomorrow and 15 miles again on Saturday (the round trip to work and back). My issue is, I feel like I'm coming down with a cold - not a proper cold yet mind, just a tickly throat, feeling sluggish and tired and so on. I'm fighting with myself as to whether I should suck it up and cycle anyway (I'm certainly capable and I do want to) or whether to get the bus to work? Will doing the cycling make me feel better or worse? I really want to cycle but I don't want to risk putting myself out of action for even longer.

What do you think? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks in advance :D

Vickyloo
Wood elf / Druid
STR: 5 DEX: 4 STA: 6.5 CON: 6.25 WIS: 9.5 CHA: 6
"Each morning we are born again.  What we do today is what matters most" Buddha
Vickyloo: Getting Back in the Game

I read this in regards to running, but it applies to cycling as well—anything "head-related" (i.e. cough, sore throat, sinus congestion) can be worked through without any harm. Anything "chest-related" ('fluttering' in lungs, pain when breathing) is a signal to hold off.

As far as the cold goes, hit it with some vitamin C or tinctures of olive leaf and goldenseal (ask at WF or a health food store) and it'll be gone in no time.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I read this in regards to running, but it applies to cycling as well—anything "head-related" (i.e. cough, sore throat, sinus congestion) can be worked through without any harm. Anything "chest-related" ('fluttering' in lungs, pain when breathing) is a signal to hold off.

As far as the cold goes, hit it with some vitamin C or tinctures of olive leaf and goldenseal (ask at WF or a health food store) and it'll be gone in no time.

I second this - I've found when I work out with a head cold, I seem to get over it faster; as an added bonus, PLUS the endorphins and whatnot help me feel less ooky. Added bonus - if I work out hard enough to sweat, I get an inadvertent neti when I snort the sweat! *laugh*

the power of [geekhood] compels me:

"Oh, I'm gonna hit you so hard, your children will be born bruised!" -- Tank Girl

"Do you know what the definition of a hero is? Someone who gets other people killed. You can look it up later." -- Zoe Washburn

"No, people are particularly stupid today. I can't talk to anymore of them." -- Michel Gerard

"A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend. Have fun!" -- Willow Rosenberg

Archived