Forums are back in action! ×

Hungry AFTER eating?

zendup

I apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong section. I'm not good with navigating through forums.

For the past 2 weeks, I have been feeling hunger pains immediately after eating. I don't know how to exactly explain it, but it's different than the "normal" hungry feeling. I feel like I've been eating enough, so I don't know that lack of food is the issue. Actually, I feel really full when I have eaten and then about 2 minutes later the ravenous hunger feeling starts.

Is it possible I'm eating the wrong things? I just ate boiled chicken and steamed broccoli about 20 minutes ago and the hunger settled in right after I had the full feeling from eating. I've been following a paleo diet for the most part, with only having bread about 3x in the past 3 weeks. I try to stay away from starchy things like potatoes and sweet potatoes because my main focus is weight loss, but even on the occasion that I do eat something filling like a sweet potato with my food, I still get that gnawing hunger immediately after feeling full. I don't want to keep eating though because I really think I have eaten enough and I need to lose weight.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it weird digestion, or could it be the grain withdrawal some people have mentioned?

I just want it to stop. :dispirited:

Work it HARDER, Make it BETTER

Do it FASTER, Makes us STRONGER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you eating enough? Don't try to limit what you eat and eat super-lean foods, otherwise you won't get enough Calories. I mean chicken is already lean and boiling it makes it even leaner. Broccoli has almost no Calories to it. If you aren't eating a huge piece of Chicken, you are probably only eating a few hundred Calories.

When I started eating healthier, I tried limiting what I ate and eating less. I ended up getting huge cravings after about a week. I started counting Calories shortly after that and found out I had basically placed myself on a 2000-Calorie deficit most days. Now, I either have to eat food that is less-lean or stuff myself just to get to my 1000-Calorie deficit. I opt for eating less lean because I don't have to stuff myself and I can enjoy the flavor of the food.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

I have the myfitnesspal app on my phone and have been counting my calories. Most days I am about 300-400 calories under the limit but I don't think that would cause this, would it? And I've been "dieting" for a month and a half now but this issue has only started 2 weeks ago.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have the myfitnesspal app on my phone and have been counting my calories. Most days I am about 300-400 calories under the limit but I don't think that would cause this, would it? And I've been "dieting" for a month and a half now but this issue has only started 2 weeks ago.

Well, that depends. Are you working out? What was their limit that they gave you? How much of a deficit is that?

If they gave you, say, 1500 Calories and you are eating 1100-1200, that's already too low. 1200 is usually considered the minimum. Plus, if you are working out on top of that, you are creating even more of a deficit for the day.

Well, that depends. Are you working out? What was their limit that they gave you? How much of a deficit is that?

If they gave you, say, 1500 Calories and you are eating 1100-1200, that's already too low. 1200 is usually considered the minimum. Plus, if you are working out on top of that, you are creating even more of a deficit for the day.

I have just starting working out on Saturday (but keep in mind this issue started a week prior to that). My calorie limit based on the app is 1940 daily. For example, yesterday I had 578 calories "left over" at the end of the day, so I had consumed 1362. I didn't exercise yesterday, either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, so I went back to your hello post and saw that you have lost 16 lbs in 43 days. That equates to about a 1300 Calorie deficit each day, which is too high for most people. Even if we say you lost 5lbs from fat and water weight in the first week, like most people do, then that is still around 1000 Calories, which is pretty high for women (It's not impossible on it's own, but with the 1200 Calorie lower limit, it usually becomes an issue). Without better numbers, I'd say that you are under-eating. Try to shoot for the number that they give you and make sure that you eat Calories to cover any Calories that you burn from exercising.

I have just starting working out on Saturday (but keep in mind this issue started a week prior to that). My calorie limit based on the app is 1940 daily. For example, yesterday I had 578 calories "left over" at the end of the day, so I had consumed 1362. I didn't exercise yesterday, either.

Is that Calorie limit with calculated fat loss in there or is that the number that you would eat to maintain weight?

For me, I get that satisfied feeling with at least 20 grams of protein per meal, and a generous amount of fat. Also, I have this problem less in the AM for some reason. Not sure that means anything. I've been eating fattier cuts of meat, adding in avocado, etc. and it's helped me some - although I do still struggle with random hunger.

Also, are you getting enough water? I know that's a lame/standard question, and I'm actually not on the "drink five gallons of water a day" train, but I do think you need the 60 oz in actual water a day, especially in the heat.

Edit: I intended my post to confirm what joeyb is saying, especially about more fat. I'm reading back what I wrote, and wanted to clarify.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Is that Calorie limit with calculated fat loss in there or is that the number that you would eat to maintain weight?

It's the calorie amount for me to lose weight. I've realized you're right, I need to be meeting the calorie amount that is set for me but I'm a numbers person and I freak out when I am reaching the maximum for the day. I forget to remember (huh? haha) that even if I eat 2000 calories a day, it is still WAY less than I used to eat before making the choice to better myself. But I wonder why it took so long for that hunger side-effect to show up?

Thanks for your help!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For me, I get that satisfied feeling with at least 20 grams of protein per meal, and a generous amount of fat. Also, I have this problem less in the AM for some reason. Not sure that means anything. I've been eating fattier cuts of meat, adding in avocado, etc. and it's helped me some - although I do still struggle with random hunger.

Also, are you getting enough water? I know that's a lame/standard question, and I'm actually not on the "drink five gallons of water a day" train, but I do think you need the 60 oz in actual water a day, especially in the heat.

Edit: I intended my post to confirm what joeyb is saying, especially about more fat. I'm reading back what I wrote, and wanted to clarify.

I do drink a lot of water daily. I hit right around the 60oz mark every day. Water and unsweetened tea is all I drink nowadays.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's the calorie amount for me to lose weight. I've realized you're right, I need to be meeting the calorie amount that is set for me but I'm a numbers person and I freak out when I am reaching the maximum for the day. I forget to remember (huh? haha) that even if I eat 2000 calories a day, it is still WAY less than I used to eat before making the choice to better myself. But I wonder why it took so long for that hunger side-effect to show up?

Thanks for your help!

I went through the same thing. After I figured out that I was under-eating, the main reason that I started tracking Calories was to make sure that I was eating enough. If you are hungry, then eat, otherwise your body will start thinking that it is starving and start storing fat instead of burning it. Just remember, this isn't a crash diet. It's a lifestyle change. Lifestyle changes take time, but will last a lot longer. Slow and steady wins the race.

i echo about eating more calories, and needing more fat. Instead of boiling chicken how about sauteeing it in coconut oil. Or have an avocado with it?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

i echo about eating more calories, and needing more fat. Instead of boiling chicken how about sauteeing it in coconut oil. Or have an avocado with it?
I do not like avocado, but I am going to think of some other alternatives to try. Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm. I wouldn't trust an app to calculate my calorie intake. There are just too many variables. I have one on my iPhone that I used to track my walks, but it's been somewhat spoiled by recent updates and now tries to do everything, including nutrition. Depending on one variable (about how active I am, though it doesn't define it too well) it seems to think I need anything between 1500 and 3300 calories a day. It also seems at random points to think I weigh 300lbs, or that I am a 100lb dwarf of 2'4".

Basically, use your own judgement. Apps like this can be useful for keeping track of stuff but they don't actually have any authoritative judgement. Anyone can throw together a fitness app and sell it; qualifications are not required. On the other hand, you are an expert on you - so adjust your intake as appropriate. If 1900 calories isn't enough for you, eat more. If you're not losing weight, eat less.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

I read awhile ago on a different forum about heartburn feeling like hunger. I realized that's why I was so 'hungry' the morning after eating a big meal right before bed. If it doesn't improve after you eat more calories, you might want to look into that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Seriously up your fat intake... and, I'd really suggest looking at the Whole30 program. They have a meal template (available at whole9life.com/itstartswithfood) that explains how much protein, veggies, and fat to include in your meals. Getting enough healthy fats will cut the hunger, the cravings, and will help your system heal faster.

Even if you don't want to do "whole30", at least look at their portion recommendations.

It could be acid reflux. My partner had acid reflux a while back after an unfortunate incident involving a full loaf of banana bread and peanut butter, and it completely wrecked the ph of his stomach. He said acid reflux felt like hunger pains, but it wasn't actually hunger. Suggest you talk to your doctor. A week or two of pills could set you right.

REBEL - Adventurer

Fairy Werewolf

LEVEL 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2+1 STR | 3+1 DEX | 2 STA | 3 CON | 4 WIS | 1 CHA

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Then it takes several thousand more to actually get anywhere.

I've dealt with acid reflux before, and this doesn't feel the same. Maybe there are different "types" of acid reflux? I don't know.

But I have been seeing a lot of references to the Whole30 program in my search for paleo recipes, so I'll check it out!

Thanks for all of your help, fellow rebels!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sounds exactly like very low fat foot to me. Eat, enjoy, but very little satiation. There have been Studies [tm] exploring this; a bit of fat in your meals makes them a lot more satisfying (and is good for avoiding dieter's space-head too) and makes it easier to stick to a reducing diet.

I'd suggest leaving the tasty skin on that tasty chicken, and considering whole eggs. Egg yolks are nommy.

Sounds exactly like very low fat foot to me. Eat, enjoy, but very little satiation. There have been Studies [tm] exploring this; a bit of fat in your meals makes them a lot more satisfying (and is good for avoiding dieter's space-head too) and makes it easier to stick to a reducing diet.

I'd suggest leaving the tasty skin on that tasty chicken, and considering whole eggs. Egg yolks are nommy.

These were chicken tenderloins that already had the skin removed, but I do LOVE the crispy skin from a baked chicken. om nom nom I love eggs, too. My father-in-law raises chickens so I get free-range chicken eggs for free! Yum.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived